Thursday, May 19, 2022

Game Junkies ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes ~ Part 23


"That's really cool of you," Alice said, giving him a kiss. "You guys are the best friends ever." She hugged them all, pulling Avery in too.

Gavin found himself in the group hug between Alice and Avery. His face was nearly in Alice's cleavage and Avery's breasts pressed against his chest. It was divine torture. Embarrassed and blushing, he wandered into the living room.

"We've got to get him a girl," Avery whispered.

"I've been thinking about that. There are a couple girls, I work with, who might be interested. If not, I used to work in a beauty salon washing hair. The girls there would treat him right."

"Let Operation Gavin begin," Stan whispered huskily.

Both girls let out an eep of surprise. They didn't even know he was there.

"My friend needs to get laid," he said quietly. "He needs a woman who will treat him right, not rip out his soul."

"You've had your soul ripped?" Avery asked, then wished she hadn't. "Sorry, I forgot." She made herself busy.

"My fault for bringing it up," Stan said, turning away.

Alice caught his arm. "Not at all. No fault here, okay? We've all got our demons. We've all made mistakes of one kind or another."

Stan leaned over, his mouth near hers. Alice kissed him, her lips lingering on his with a smile. He touched her cheek, his thumb brushing across her lips before he kissed her again. This one was longer and made Avery a little uncomfortable. She made some noise with the knife and chopping block to startle them and remind them she was in the room.

Laughing softly, Stan took a step back. "Sorry, Ave." He touched Alice's cheek again. "We'll continue that sometime when we haven't got a chaperon."

"Count on it."

He left the room. Alice grabbed Avery's hand, squeezing and squealing quietly. She looked so happy, Avery grinned and gave her a hug.

"Yay!" she said softly.

They finished fixing side dishes while Colby and Gavin got the grill ready for barbecue chicken. Stan had a great recipe for sauce. Avery had a small patio that was walled on three sides, with a corrugated plastic roof. Even in the cold, it was a sheltered spot to set up the grill. Colby wasn't much of a hand at conventional cooking, but he rocked a grill. Gavin was also good. Stan was great with sauces and marinades, but his cooking skills were minimal. Between the three of them, they did an admirable job with outdoor cooking.

Dinner finished around 8:00. They ate and the others decided it was time to go home. Alice, Stan and Gavin had to work on Sunday. Colby and Avery were lucky to have the weekend off. Hugs and kisses all around, the others headed home.

When they were gone, Colby felt awkward. He wasn't sure how to behave. He'd spent the night many times, like the night before, but he'd never been the boyfriend before. He and Avery had always been relaxed around one another, and talked about what was bothering them. Still feeling unsure, he decided to put the age old method to work once more. They'd always told one another the truth. Just now, the truths were more difficult, compounded by the fact that he more time he spent around her, the more he wanted her. He sat on the couch with, what Avery called, his serious-talk-face. She sat opposite him, legs crossed, knees nearly touching his thigh.

"I've had the best day of my life today, Ave," he began, his voice low. " And I really like this boyfriend gig."

"I like this girlfriend gig, too." She took his hand, winding her fingers with his. "So, what's bothering you? You only act like this when you're going to be Brutally Honest."

Colby chuckled, dropping his head. "If you know that, you probably know what I'm going to say next."

Avery tipped his chin up, gazing into his eyes without blinking. A soft smile tugged her lips. "Pretty good idea, yeah. I'm not quite ready, Colby. I love you and I'm very attracted to you. But I'm so scared. What if I fuck this up? What if we try being a couple, and fail miserably? You're the best friend I've got. I don't want to lose you."

Colby scooted closer. "You don't have to worry about that. No one has a guarantee that a relationship will work. We've got an advantage though, we've known one another for years. You read me like a book. And I don't fuck up too bad, when I actually pay attention."

"You are moderately perceptive."

"I really want to take this relationship to the next level, Avery."

"And by next level, you mean sex."

He fidgeted slightly. "I know you aren't ready for that. Honestly, I'm sure I am either. I was thinking, maybe I could spend a few nights here, we kind of get used to each other."

"Why aren't you ready?"

Colby blinked, tilting his head to one side. "Um—Avery, I've never been with a virgin before. I don't want to hurt you, because I'm stupid or clumsy." He took her hands, scooting closer. "Our first time is a big deal for me, too. It will be like my first time all over again, because I get to share it with you. I'm not the most experienced guy around, but I want to explore more with you. Just you."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...