Tuesday, June 07, 2022

Game Junkies ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes ~ Part 28

 


In the morning, they woke late, spent some quality time in bed and got up to fix brunch. Colby knew he needed to go by his apartment and get some clothing for work. He worked at a small computer repair and sales company during the week. Avery was a scribe for a doctor's office. They both had to work Monday morning, but they had the rest of Sunday to spend together.

Around 2:00, he braved the gathering cold and headed to his apartment. Avery had laundry to do, so she stayed at her place. Her washer and drier were somewhat unpredictable, so she couldn't leave a load while she went out. Besides, they needed a short break from each other. They'd been in one another's company longer than this before, but not as a couple. Neither of them was entirely sure how to act and it was tiring. At least they both acknowledged the fact and realized they needed a little time apart.

Colby drove to his apartment. Snowflakes fluttered down, not quite sticking. When he got to his apartment, his spot and his guest spot were both occupied. It was unwritten law in the complex that the guest spot was flexible, as long as someone asked. The fact that both spots, clearly marked, were taken, he was angry. He parked behind both cars and went into his apartment, slamming the door. A few minutes later, angry voices rose outside. He heard a thump followed by cursing. Figuring that at least one of the people in his spot had come out, he got his jacket and went outside.

A big man with lots of tattoos and body piercings, was kicking Colby's car. There was a dent in the driver's side door. He held a tire iron and was taking a swing when Colby caught him.

"What the fuck!" Colby yelled. "That's my car, dude!"

"You've got me parked in, you cock sucker!"

"You're in my spot, you fucktard. Park in my spot, I'll park you in. All you had to do was come ask me to move."

"You could have asked me to move."

Colby stood with his hands on his hips. "Right. And I knew exactly where you were?"

The man glared at Colby. "I was right next door, man."

"Don't give a fuck where you were. Don't park in my spot. Do you know who's in the my other place?"

The man shrugged.

"Move your car and don't park there again, or I'll call the cops. It's got my number on it."

"Just dropping by my buddy's place. I wasn't there long."

"I don't care, dude. My spot is my spot."

"Don't get an attitude, you douchebag. I can park where I want." He turned aggressive, coming at Colby with the tire iron.

Having anticipated this, Colby blocked the ill timed swing, knocking the tire iron from the man's hand. He grabbed the guy's wrist, wrenching his arm behind him. Nose and eyebrow rings clacked against the aggressive man's hood, as Colby flattened his face on the cold metal. He jerked up on the man's arm, making him howl. Other doors opened. The new tenants watched warily. Three doors down, his neighbor Buck, who was former Army, came over.

"Sup, Colby?"

"Dude's fucking crazy," the tattooed man screamed. "Tried to break my fucking arm."

"What I see is a dent in his door, a tire iron at your feet and you face down on a car hood." Buck pulled out his phone and called the police. "That's assault, cabrón." He made his call and put his phone away. "You gonna let that douchebag up, Colb?"

"I don't want him to run."

"He's not running, cause he knows I'll catch him. If I catch him, this scenario changes." He glowered at the tattooed man. "So, we're gonna stand here nicely while we wait for the cops. Then you're going to jail."

The door down the way slammed shut. Colby eased his grip on the angry man, allowing him to rise. Buck moved closer, standing with his burly arms crossed over his muscular chest. He was dressed in a black T-shirt and desert camouflage pants.

"Your buddy isn't as stupid as you," Buck said. "Smart is good, considering what he's doing in there. You think I don't see. I see everything, puta. I make mental notes. I don't like drug dealers down the way from my kids. You can tell your buddy to watch his back."

"What's one spic gonna do to me?"

Buck took another step closer, still more than three feet away, but less than four. He smiled, arms still folded.

"I'll make it my personal business to make you regret your attitude."

Buck smiled again. It was the most predatory look Colby had ever seen. A cop car drove up, lights flashing. Another followed. Two officers, both of whom were nearly as big as Buck, hopped out. Colby and Buck explained what had happened. One officer examined the damage while the other cuffed the tattooed man.

"We pressing assault charges?" the cop with the cuffs asked.

"I'm pressing charges! He almost pulled my arm out," the tattooed man blustered.

"My friend is smaller and unarmed. He was attacked without provocation," Buck told the cop.

©2021 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...