Thursday, June 23, 2022

Game Junkies ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes ~ Part 33


"I have some great news," he said after he kissed her.

"Yeah? What's that?"

"I just got Twila's job as head of IT."

"No kidding? Oh, my God, Colby! That's so cool! Dr. Tucker's office manager asked me if I'd like to take a job in the office, making appointments and scheduling tests. It would mean a pay increase, too. Like almost double what I'm making. I can still do the scribe stuff, until they find someone else. The other would only be part time to begin with."

"That's great! I hope you said yes."

"I did! I start Monday. Meanwhile, I have a shit ton of files to go through, but it won't take long."

"Not as fast as you type."

He told her about the apartments opening up in Jonas' complex and that idea pleased her. Though she liked her place, a newer one in a nicer neighborhood would please her more.

"They open for show on Saturday. I thought we'd go have a look. Jonas said he'd meet us there and put in a good word."

Avery burst into tears. Colby dropped his fork, springing up to hold her in his arms. "What's wrong, babe?"

"I'm so happy! Everything is falling into place—it's so great!"

It really was great, he couldn't deny. He held her while she cried, kissing her hair and patting her back. They ate a hurried lunch so they could have some bedroom time, but Colby's phone rang as he was taking off his pants.

"It's Mom. Shit! Hi, Mom! What's up?"

"Where are you, Colby? I'm knocking on your door and no one's home."

"Oh, hell. I forgot to call you. I moved—in with Avery."

"What? Why?"

"Come on over and I'll explain."

"Okay. On my way. Excuse me?" she said to someone, not Colby. "Who are you and what—!" there was a muffled cry.

"Mom? Mom!" He put the phone on speaker, struggling with his pants.

"You want Mommy back, you get the cops off my back. Got it?"

"Colby?" he heard at a distance. "Who are these people?"

"You hurt my mother, I will end you."

"Yeah. Tough guy. Do it."

"Call the cops," he whispered to Avery. "My place. Druggies. Mom."

She didn't need more than that. She could hear what was happening. Going in the bathroom, she made the call. Afterward, though Colby hadn't said to, she called Buck's cell number. His wife, Tamika, answered.

"Hello?"

"This is Avery, I'm Colby's girlfriend. Are you home?"

"Upstairs at Mom's. Why?"

"The drug dealer, he grabbed Colby's mom!"

"What the fuck? Don't worry. Mama, watch the kids. I gotta run a mission. I'll get some help. You don't worry, Avery. You tell Colby, I'm on this like flies on shit."

"Thank you."

Colby was dressed and ready to go when she came back out.

"I talked to Tamika. She said she's on it like flies on shit."

He laughed almost hysterically. "And the cops?"

"On the way."

"I gotta go."

"I'll call your boss. Go. Be safe!"

He raced out and she called his boss and told him what had happened.

"Whoa, what the fuck? What's that guy got, a death wish?"

"Apparently. Go figure."

"Yeah. Listen, you stick tight. I'm on the way over to Colby's. Someone's going to have to hold him back while they get his mama out, or he's gonna go kamikaze."

"Be careful, Jonas. And tell him.... Tell him to behave."

"I will. Bye, kiddo."

Avery was terrified. She knew she'd be in the way if she went over. Every part of her wanted to go and be with Colby. Finally unable to stop herself, she got dressed warmly and followed him. She had to park some distance away because they had cordoned off the complex and were evacuating surrounding apartments. Small and quick, she wormed and wiggled her way in. She spotted Jonas a few feet away, with Colby. He was pale, his mouth and nostrils pinched, ears and throat red. He was ready to blow. If he went off, he could get himself hurt. He was brave and completely oblivious to his own vulnerability, when someone he loved was threatened. There was no one in his life more important than his mother, except Avery. He yanked his arm away from Jonas and the cop holding him and was ready to dash forward, when she caught up to him.

©2021 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...