Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 4


The drive home was quiet and uneventful. Blythe dozed as her brother drove her to their parents' house. Her mother had insisted that she not be on her own. Truth be told, she wanted to be coddled a little. Charlotte Donovan was a fussy mother hen, but she knew how to take care of her chicks. Before going to bed, Blythe had a long, hot bath. As she dried off, she saw bruises not only on her collarbone, but under her right breast. The seat belt had done its job, leaving her sore and aching. She took a pain pill and lay down. Her mother brought her a bowl of homemade chicken soup, a cup of herb tea and an ice pack. She ate, chatting with her mother, then decided it was time to go to bed.

Before turning out her light, she sent a text to Jessamine to let her know she was all right. "Just bumps and bruises," she reported.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Jessamine sent back. "Take it easy the next few days."

"I will. Met a really cute orderly. He gave me his number. Oh, by the way, did you get the name of the guy who helped us move the car?"

"What guy?" Jessamine replied. "You and I moved the car together."

Blythe paused. She'd been sure that a dark haired man had helped them. "My mistake. I guess I was hallucinating."

"You take it easy, honey. Call or text me tomorrow."

"I will. Thanks again for your help. We should get together for coffee next time you're in Daytona."

"That would be fun. Good night."

"Good night."

Setting her phone aside, Blythe stared at the ceiling, the blanket up under her chin. The pain pill had made her sleepy, but she couldn't quite give herself over to sleep. She kept hearing Jessamine's reply, "What guy? You and I moved the car together."

"There was a guy", she murmured. "He was so handsome and kind—like something out of a dream."

Smiling, she fell asleep. Her mother came in a little while later and turned off the lamp. She couldn't help wondering what had put such a smile on her daughter's face.

Blythe woke the next morning, needing to pee badly. The pain medication had done its job so well, she hadn't woken during the night. Groaning, she rolled over and found she couldn't get out of bed. Her phone sat on the night stand where she'd left it the night before. Feeling foolish, she sent her mother a text. Blythe could hear her giggling all the way up the stairs and down the hall.

"My little bird needs a pit stop, huh?"

"Mixing metaphors, Mom."

Her mother laughed harder, helping her daughter get up. Blythe's pajama top pulled up, showing her bruised chest and her mother stopped laughing.

"Oh, honey! Why didn't you show the doctor this?"

"Because he saw me in the corridor. All the rooms were full. We talked about it. Nothing is broken, cracked or fractured. It just hurts like a bitch."

"I imagine it does."

It amused Blythe that she'd just cursed in front of her mother, and hadn't been reprimanded. It was a sign of her mother's distraction that she hadn't caught it.

"Can you manage in the bathroom?"

"Yes, Mom. I can still pee by myself," her tone was more harsh than she'd intended. Pain lanced along her ribs, making her wince.

"I'm just worried, Blythe Anne. No need to be flippant."

"Sorry, Mom. I think I need another pain pill."

"I'll go get it. Be careful and don't try to go to bed until I get back."

"Yes, Ma'am." She had no intention of trying to get in bed on her own. After she washed her hands, she waited in the bathroom until her mother returned.

Together, they moved slowly to the bed. Blythe took her pill and drank the rest of the water. It eased her dry throat.

"Do you want breakfast in bed?"

"I think I'll come to the table. Do you mind if I stay in my jammies?" Usually, the rule was that one came to table fully clothed.

"Under the circumstances, you wear whatever is comfortable."

"Thanks for taking such good care of me, Mom." She squeezed her mother's hand.

Taking her daughter gently in her arms, Charlotte gave her a hug. "I'm just so glad you're all right. When Jason called, all I heard was accident. It was like Alec all over again."

Blythe sighed, holding her mother tightly. Despite their minor conflicts, she and her mother were close. If it hadn't been for her, Blythe wasn't sure she would have made it through Alec's funeral and the weeks of grief that followed.

"Let's get some coffee," her mother urged. "Then a shower and some fresh jammies. You'll feel right as rain."

"Please don't say rain," Blythe begged. "I don't want to see another raindrop for ages."

Charlotte smiled, brushing her daughter's dark hair from her face. "You'll be fine. Daddy and I can cart you around for a couple days. But you know you've got to get behind the wheel soon."

"Just not in the rain."

"That will come in time, darling."

They went slowly down the stairs, stopping on the landing for Blythe to catch her breath. Her father was in the kitchen and Jason came in a few minutes later.

"I'm on my way to work," he said. "But I wanted to make sure you're okay, before I went in."

"Thanks, Jas, I'm fine. Sore as all get out...."

"You just be careful. Hey, what you want for dessert? I'm buying."

Blythe gave her brother a bland look, raising an eyebrow. "Really? You have to ask."

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...