Thursday, August 25, 2022

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 5


"Double chocolate cake with mocha ice cream. Don't you ever change?"

"Why mess with perfection?"

"She has a point," their mother agreed, helping Blythe sit.

No one pointed out that this was their mother's favorite dessert treat, too. Jason laughed as he left.

Once she'd eaten and bathed, Blythe decided to sit in the den rather than braving the stairs again. Funny, she'd never minded them before. Then again, she'd never been in a car accident before. Armed with the TV remote, her phone and tablet, she sipped the tea her mother brought and tried to find something to amuse herself. Her phone dinged, heralding a text message. It was Jessamine.

"Hi, how are you feeling today?"

"Sore as hell. I couldn't even roll out of bed on my own. Had to call my mom on the phone and have her come help me."

"Bummer. So, tell me about the orderly."

Blythe gave her details. "I wish I'd thought to snap a picture, but Mom had my bag and phone. You know that gorgeous blond guy from Bones. Michael—something."

"Michael Grant Terry. He's adorable!"

"That's what Elam looks like."

"Totally droolishous. So, you gonna go out?"

"I think I'll call him, maybe go for coffee or something. I'm not quite ready for more."

"Take it slow. Give yourself time."

"I sure will."

"I'm gonna be in Daytona Tuesday. Want to meet up?"

"Yes, that would be great. Mom may be driving me, is that okay?"

"I'd love to meet your mom."

"Great. What time?"

"How about eleven? I've got a meeting at eight and another at two. We can get some lunch or something."

They made plans to meet at Panera before Jessamine had to go to yet another meeting. She hadn't told Blythe what she did for a living, or maybe she had. Blythe had the feeling that it was something in the medical field, but she couldn't remember clearly. She was still channel surfing when her phone rang. It was a number she didn't recognize, so answered warily.

"Blythe? Hi, it's Elam. I bullied the receptionist to give me your number. I couldn't wait for you to call."

Blythe laughed. "I'm glad you did. I was still working up the courage."

"What?" he sounded incredulous, though he laughed. "I'm not that spooky, am I?"

"Not at all. It's just been a really long time since I went out with anyone other than Alec."

"I understand. I know you're probably not feeling up to much, but I wanted to call. When you feel like going to dinner and a movie—or dinner and dancing—or a walk on the beach—or a cup of your favorite caffeinated beverage."

"I'll keep you posted."

"Cool. So, I guess I'll let you go back to whatever you were doing."

"Thanks for calling."

"Thanks for not being mad that I called."

They said goodbye once more and hung up. Blythe held her phone, staring at the screen until it went blank. Something about Elam felt so right, like she was meant to meet him. Horrid that the circumstances included a car accident, but at least she hadn't been badly hurt. Her car, on the other hand, was totaled. Of that, she felt certain.

She pulled out her phone, hoping that she'd snapped a shot of her mystery man. She didn't doubt Jessamine, but she knew what she had seen and heard. He was distinctive, handsome, friendly and reassuring. He helped move the car, and got her out, despite the bent and mangled door. She couldn't have done that on her own, could she?

She flipped through her pictures. They were a little blurry and rain spotted, but one thing was certain, her car was toast. Resigned to that fact, she tossed her phone aside. There were no pictures of any bystanders. She'd snapped one blurry one of her victims and another had Jessamine's profile, but the rest were of the mangled, tattered car. Her first major purchase, was gone. She had made that decision on her own, with no input from her parents or brother. She'd paid for it with some of the insurance money she'd been given after Alec's death. He had listed her as beneficiary for his money and possessions.

The Army had been a little touchy about it, until the unit chaplain came forward. He had officiated on a video wedding two weeks before Alec's death. Something had prompted her beloved to make it official, even if he couldn't be there in person. The wedding at home was for friends and family. As far as the Army was concerned, she was Mrs. Alec Singleton. She didn't feel like it, and hadn't kept his name more than a minute after his death. She couldn't bear the fact that she was 25, and a widow with nothing but a simple engagement ring, and a widow's pension to show for it.

The greatest irony was that he'd been transferred home. After their wedding, he was supposed to take a job at the VA in Orlando. A trained medic, he had intended to go to school and become a full fledged surgeon. That was his dream, and he never achieved it.

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...