Thursday, August 18, 2022

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 3


"I'd give you a tour, but I think you're presence is required elsewhere."

"Thank you. I've seen more of the hospital today, than I've ever seen."

"It's like a rabbit warren. I know all the best places to hide from the nurses and catch a nap—"

"Or hook up with a hot nurse?"

"Don't let Grey's Anatomy fool you. Most of our doctors and nurses are too busy looking after the patients, to hump in the on-call rooms. Believe it or not, people actually sleep there." He gasped a little for effect, taking the last turn so quickly, the chair tipped. He never lost control, righting it safely.

Blythe gave out a little Eep of surprise. Giggling, she thanked him for the ride. He bowed again, handing her a piece of paper with his name and number neatly printed on it.

"For when you decide to take off the ring," he murmured. "Take your time." He kissed her hand once more, before going back through the double doors separating them from the rest of the hospital.

"He seems nice," her mother said.

Jason eyed him warily. "What did he mean about the ring?"

"Nothing." It was a sore point with her brother. He didn't think she should ever date, or fall in love, again.

"Was he hitting on you?" Jason bridled slightly.

"It's okay, Jas. Chill. He was really nice and very friendly."

"Too damn friendly." He spotted the paper in her hand and tried to snatch it. "He gave you his number? Unbelievable."

Blythe skillfully evaded his grab, putting the paper in her bra. "He did. And I might even give him a call."

Jason huffed angrily.

"Before you explode, son, let's go for a walk," their father suggested. "You know she can't mourn him the rest of her life," he said quietly as they walked out the door.

"He really does want me to grieve forever, doesn't he?" Blythe asked their mother.

"Alec was his best friend. When you two started dating, he couldn't have been happier. It nearly killed him when Alec died."

"And what about me?" Blythe's eyes teared up. "A month before our wedding, he was killed. But Jason never considered my feelings at all. It's always been all about him. I lost the love of my life."

"Jason lost the brother he never had."

Thankfully, the nurse called her back. Wheeling her into a hallway, she took her down the hall where a young doctor waited with another nurse and a portable vital signs machine. They took her blood pressure and temperature.

"I'm sorry to see you in the hall like this," the doctor apologized. "All the rooms are full, and most of them are waiting for beds. Strictly standing room only." He chuckled nervously.

"It's fine."

He examined her collarbone and knee as he told her that her films had come back clean and clear. "No breaks, cracks or fractures. You can treat the bruises with ice. I'll write you a prescription for pain. You may not hurt too badly right now, but tomorrow will probably be another story entirely. Treat the scrapes on your knee and shoulder with some triple antibiotic and they should be fine."

Half an hour later, prescriptions in hand, she waited for the release papers. Elam came by a few times with other people in wheelchairs. She was signing her papers when he stopped once more.

"I'm on break." He squatted by the chair, gazing up at her. His eyes were a vivid azure, like the waters of the Caribbean. "Sorry if I got you in trouble with your brother."

"He'll survive. It's not the first time he's gotten upset with me. Won't be the last."

"Family," he said with a sigh. "My brothers and I communicate with Morse Code, by way of punches. So I get it."

Blythe giggled. "Jason would never hit me. I imagine he's wanted to, once or twice."

"Don't lose my number."

"I won't. Aren't you supposed to be on break?"

"I am. But I'm here to take you to the car. Your brother is pulling it around right now. He might hit me with it...."

"He might. But hey, you're in the right place."

Laughing quietly, Elam wheeled her out to the car. Jason waited under the port cochère, motor running. He frowned when he saw Elam, but didn't make any rude remarks. Instead, he made sure she was comfortably settled, even rolling up his jacket to keep the seat belt from touching her sore chest.

"Sorry about how I acted," he said. Though whether he spoke to Elam or Blythe, it was hard to tell.

"Take care," Elam said, shutting the door carefully.

"Thank you." She blew him a kiss.

Smiling, he stepped away from the car. Jason flashed him an ugly look, but Blythe didn't see it. Elam's expression changed ever so slightly, the smile leaving his eyes for a moment. Blythe missed that too, having closed her own.

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...