Thursday, April 20, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 13


 "I'll have a soft drink. I have to go back to the hospital later."

"Have a cider, at least. My buddy makes it, and it's amazing. He grows his own apples, and everything."

"Talked me into it," she agreed.

"Excellent. You may keep this one, Obi-Wan."

"Thanks a lot, Clive. She's not my girlfriend."

"No? So, you wanna go out?" he asked Wynter.

"Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. But I just broke up with a real beast of a man. I'd be on the rebound."

"I'm okay with that."

Obi gave him a long look, which spoke volumes.

"And I'll keep other comments to myself," Clive said. He started unloading bags onto the counter.

"Hi, I'm Sarah," the younger woman said to Wynter. "I'm Eagle's soul mate."

"Are you? That's so great. I'm Wynter."

"Is Obi your soul mate?"

"We met today...."

"Trust me, if he is, you just know. It's like the meeting of two hearts. Mine just started singing, when we met. It was like—magic. You know?"

"Yes. Magic. Sure is," Obi said without really listening.

"I don't need a romantic entanglement right now," Wynter said. "I need a friend. And Obi has been a great one." She put her hand on his arm, blinking back tears.

"Oh, hey! I didn't mean to make you cry. It's okay if you aren't soul mates."

"Thanks. It's not that."

"Can I help? I'm a good listener."

"Thank you. I appreciate that, but I'll be okay."

Wynter turned to follow the men to the backyard, but Sarah took her arm.

"I know you think I'm an airhead," she said in a very mature voice. "That's okay. But I am a good listener, and I've been through some stuff, so I understand. Eagle's the best guy I've ever met. His brothers don't like me much."

"I'm sure that's not the case. They aren't used to a woman like you, that's all."

"You think I'm a vapid airhead, too," Sarah said, sniffling.

"Anyone who can properly use the word vapid, is not as much of an airhead as she'd like people to think. Sweetie, if you want to be taken seriously, then cultivate seriousness," Wynter said kindly. "Being a strong, intelligent woman is good. I think Eagle would appreciate that even more than a vapid airhead."

"You think?"

"Yeah. Let's take that for a spin, huh?"

"Sure. Thanks." She hooked arms with Wynter. "So, what do you do? Are you from here?"

Chatting happily, the two women talked about themselves. Wynter didn't think it was possible, but she actually felt herself bonding with the flighty young woman.

After dinner, Obi took Wynter back to the hospital, leaving his brothers and Sarah at his house. After dropping her off, he felt slightly let down. Somehow, she had made the worst day of his life, better. He knew she had a lot going on, just like he did. Their shared emotional upheaval had bound them together. He'd always wondered if soul mates were real, particularly after Eagle had met Sarah, and started spouting off about it at any given moment.

As he drove home, he considered that concept, determined to look into it more. The Bible might not speak of it, but other religious texts, did. Home once more, he drank a couple of ciders, but didn't overindulge like the night before. In fact, he pulled himself together, and headed to bed by 10:00.

"If you're going to be naughty, take the red room," he told Eagle.

The red room was the smallest bedroom, and furthest away from his.

"It's tiny!"

"The bed is just as big, and I won't have to hear your joyful adulation. I need my sleep, baby bro."

"No problem. Goodnight, big bro!" He ruffled Obi's hair playfully.

The brothers hugged before heading to their bedrooms. Clive took a room next to Obi's, but Eagle dutifully took the red room, as requested.

"You think they're gonna be naughty?" Clive asked glumly.

"Wouldn't you?"

"Duh!"

Tilting his head, Obi shrugged. "See you in the morning."

"What time are you up?"

"Eight."

"Wake me?"

"Sure, no problem. Thanks for coming over. I needed the company."

"Dude, me too. Ironic that the only brother who's getting lucky, is a child." Clive was 27.

"Somehow, it will turn around. We can hope, right?"

"Yes. Sleep well."

"You, too."

Obi slept fairly well, waking just before his alarm went off. He tapped on Clive's door as he headed to the kitchen, where he found Sarah making breakfast.

"I wasn't sure if you guys were hungover, but I've got the best cure in the world. My dad taught me."

"Is he a drunk?" he teased as he set up coffee.

She giggled, adding hot sauce to the scrambled eggs. "No. Actually, he's a doctor."

"No kidding. What field?"

"He works at the Urgent Care near the Trifecta."

"Really? That's an edge market!"

"You'd think so, right? But he mostly gets kids with the flu, and the occasional broken arm. The really bad stuff goes to St. Mary's. He's under the protection of the Brujos Malvados. No one messes with him."

"Really? Wait. Is your dad Sir Lane?"

"He is! You know him?"

"Quite well. He's done some seminars I've attended."

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...