Thursday, April 27, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 15


"I do."

"Probably should shave. You're a mess."

"I forgot yesterday."

"I'm shocked you could actually function."

Obi chuckled, nodding. "Yeah. Me too. Thanks for coming over. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it." He hugged his brother.

"I needed it, too. We have to make more time for each other."

"Yes, we do. How are things at work?"

It was Clive's turn to tear up. Shrugging, he shook his head.

"What's happened? I have to get dressed, come talk to me."

They walked silently to his room. Obi shaved and got a quick shower, with Clive sitting on the closed toilet.

"Talk to me, Brother."

"Friday is my last day. After I got hurt at work, my back's a mess. I've been on light duty, but I'm still on probation. They can fire me for any reason, and I can't fight it. But I'm trying to get a Workman's Comp settlement."

"You call a lawyer?"

"Yeah, Uncle Toomy hooked me up with his neighbor's son-in-law, who's willing to do it pro bono."

"Who's the lawyer?"

"Caden Perrine."

"No kidding? Wow! He's good. I've seen him in action. I thought he only handled criminal cases?" He dried off and dressed before combing his hair into a more orderly fashion.

"Usually, yes. He was so disgusted with how the company is treating me, he's willing to take it on."

"If anyone can do it, he can. He's an absolute barracuda."

"Is that better than a shark?"

Obi chuckled, nodding. "I think so. You can see a shark coming. A barracuda sneaks up on you, tearing you to shreds before you know it's there."

"Cool."

"I'll keep it in prayer. You working today?"

"No," he sighed. "They cut my hours to every other day."

"I could use your help at the church, if your back's up to it. I fired my maintenance man a few days ago. So of course, that's when everything goes wrong. I'll pay you what I paid him, if you can do me a solid."

"Like what?"

"Men's room, the handle on one of the urinals broke. The door is loose on the stall, and a few other things in the kitchen need tending. I could do them, but I've got a pretty full day today. Plus, need to work on my sermon. I had an idea I was working with, but I've changed my mind. I need to do some research. I can't trust some dude off the street to do a good job. I can trust my brother."

"I'd be happy to."

"Thank you! I had visions of Mrs. Bannister trying to make calls." He shuddered.

"What're we doing?" Eagle walked in without knocking, a cup of coffee in hand.

"Clive's gonna do some work at the church. You wanna help?"

"Sure! I'm not working today. Sarah's helping her dad at the clinic. She's his nurse."

"The Three Musketeers ride again!" Clive said, raising his empty mug high.

The brothers did a loud roar, hands meeting above their heads. Sarah poked her head in the door.

"You guys okay in here?"

"The Randolph Brothers are unstoppable," Clive replied. Walking over to her, he held out his hand, kissing hers when she took his. "I'm sorry I've been such a jerk. I was goaded by jealousy. I've never had a woman like you." Pushing past her, he trotted down the stairs.

"On that note, I have to jet," Obi said after a glance at his watch. "You guys get there when you can. Sarah, I hope you and your dad have a great day. Please tell him I said hello."

"I sure will." Her voice was a little dreamy.

Obi rattled down the stairs. Sarah turned to Eagle, her eyes wide with wonder.

"What just happened?"

"That was my brothers, being the men I know—kind, accepting and very cool."

"That they are."

"Let's get you to work, Babe."

They kissed briefly, then followed his brothers outside. Obi locked the house and they got in their cars. Clive and Obi went to the church. Sarah and Eagle headed to her father's clinic.

Mrs. Bannister was just unlocking the church door when Obi arrived. Clive pulled up as he finished the process, and opened the door. Thanking him with a smile and nod, she bustled to her office, where the phone was already ringing.

"St. Pete's," she answered.

No matter how many times he told her to answer the phone in a more professional manner, she didn't. She'd been secretary longer than he'd been alive, and didn't hold with such fripperies. He often wondered what she thought of him. He'd always thought of her as a flighty, old bat. Perhaps, like with Sarah, he hadn't looked beneath the veneer to her true self. Determined to clear that up, he went to her office before going to his own.

"Want coffee?" he asked as she hung up the phone.

"I'll get that, Father. You don't need to trouble yourself."

"I'm happy to. The phone's already ringing, bound to be busy."

To prove him right, it rang again.

"St. Pete's." There was a long pause while she listened. "You'll need to speak to Father Randolph. One moment, I'll see if he's in." Putting the phone on hold, she folded her hands. "That's a call you'll want to be taking."

"Who is it?"

"Edward Lancaster." The richest man in the parish.

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...