Tuesday, May 02, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 16

 


Hands shaking, he took the phone as she hit the hold button. "Hello, Father Randolph here."

"Randolph, I've a bone to pick!" Conversations with Mr. Lancaster often started out this way. Never a pleasant man, he liked to throw his weight around.

"Concerning what?" Rubbing his nose with his index finger and thumb, he closed his eyes, saying a quick prayer for grace. He never prayed for patience anymore. It was always tested too greatly.

"I should think you'd know that already."

"No, sir. There are all manner of things that this could be concerning. You'll have to be specific." His tone was sharp, his manner terse.

There was a short pause. He heard Lancaster inhale abruptly as he regrouped.

"I'll thank you to watch your tone, Father. You can be replaced. I'm on the hiring committee, you know."

"I'm aware. Is it concerning the job I'm doing here? Do you intend to replace me?"

"That's not what I said! Stick to the subject at hand."

"I would," his voice took on an edge he didn't recognize in himself. "If I knew what it was." It took everything he had not to lose his temper and swear.

"Now see here, Randolph!"

"Got another call coming in. One second while I put you on hold." He hung up.

Mrs. Bannister gaped at him. Clive, who was leaning on the door frame, clapped.

"Five, four, three, two...." Obi pointed at the phone. It rang again. Giving it a few, he motioned to Mrs. Bannister to pick up.

"St. Pete's." She hit the speaker.

"Put Randolph on right this minute."

"I'm sorry. Father Randolph is on an emergency call from a member of the flock. May I take a message?"

"Fine! Tell that son of a motherless—"

"To whom do you refer, Mr. Lancaster? We don't have any motherless anyone here."

"You know good and well who I mean!"

"Excuse me a moment. I've got another call."

"Don't you dare put me on hold, you daft—!"

She hung up. Obi and Clive laughed and clapped.

"I didn't think you had that in you, Mrs. B.," Clive said, giving her a high five.

Obi hugged her. "That was amazing. You're my hero, Lorna."

She beamed, her eyes tearing. "Thank you."

"Have you any idea what that was all about?"

"I suspect it was because of Abner Carr."

"Why would he be calling about the maintenance man?"

"They're cousins. Mr. Lancaster got Abner the job here."

"What for? The man was useless. I've often wondered why Father Faraday hired him."

"He was forced." She sniffed, her nostrils white and pinched. "Lancaster made it impossible to say no. He threatened to withdraw his monetary support."

"Great. I just insulted my main contributor."

"If you ask me, you don't need that old coot's money. He's into some shady things, Father. You're better off not having him around. And I'm glad you got rid of Abner. He was a pervert."

"Did he bother you?" Obi squatted by her chair, taking her hand. "I had no idea. Why didn't you say so?"

"I didn't want to upset the apple cart. He was a fixture, and I thought we had to live with it. I didn't want you to get in a fight," she added quietly. "If you knew the things he did."

"To you? Did he hurt you? Assault you?" Clive asked, taking a similar stance to his brother's.

Mrs. Bannister wouldn't meet their eyes. "Nothing—physically. But he was crude. Suggestive. He'd make comments, and do things when you weren't here. If he was working, and you weren't around, I'd lock myself in the office until he was gone."

"Lorna, you should have said something! I'm so sorry. He was rude and useless, but I had no idea!" Obi gave her a gentle hug. "I'd have gotten rid of him ages ago, if I'd known."

"It's made Mr. Lancaster so angry. He's probably on his way over here right now!" Hands shaking, they fluttered to her mouth as her lips trembled. "He's going to be so nasty!"

"I'll deal with him. Why don't you go check the Sunday School rooms for me. You know how we always have to put in the paper towels, because Abner wasn't capable of doing it right. Clive can go with you, and help." He raised an eyebrow at his brother.

"Absolutely. It would be my pleasure."

"Clive's going to be filling in as maintenance man, until we find someone else. Or, if he decides he likes the gig, he's here for as long as he wants."

"Why don't you tell me what needs fixing, and make me a list while I do the towels?" Clive suggested, helping her stand.

"Thank you. I'll do that very thing!" Picking up a pad and pen, she led Clive out.

The brothers tapped knuckles.

"You'll be okay with Lancaster?"

"Eagle should be here soon. I won't be by myself long."

"Good, cause that man's—not right."

Obi could tell there was a lot more he wanted to say about Lancaster, but he was trying to behave in church. He and Mrs. Bannister headed down the stairs, to the long hallway to the rear of the church, where the Sunday School classes were.

Shortly after they left, there was a pounding on the front door. Since it wasn't locked, Obi had to wonder what was going on. Prepared for a fight, he walked slowly to the door. Lancaster stood there, red in the face, hammering on the door. Obi opened it a few inches. Lancaster yanked it the rest of the way, flinging the glass door so hard, it bounced off the wall. Fortunately, it didn't shatter, but it shook in its frame.

"How dare you!" Lancaster bellowed, shaking his fist in Obi's face.

"You still haven't explained why you're upset. Don't you have high blood pressure, Eddie? Perhaps you should calm down."

"Don't tell me to calm down, you freak!"

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...