Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 20

Wanda sniffed it appreciatively. "Lovely!"


"I also have a special THC cream to help with pain and swelling. A friend of mine got some weird reactions to the shot you get after chemo. I came up with this for him. He swore by it." He handed her a small jar. "I've got plenty, so you holler when you're out."

"I will do so. Thank you so much. You're all so kind." Tears rolled down her cheeks.

Wynter took one hand, Sarah the other.

"I think we need some girl time," Sarah said. "I wondered if you'd like a shower, so you can wash your hair? I can get people in to help you."

"Please. That would be lovely. Thank you."

"We'll head down to the chapel," Obi said. "Unless you guys want to go outside?" he directed at Eagle and Sir.

"I think the chapel sounds great," Sir replied.

"Call when you're done," Obi said, giving Wanda a tender kiss on the cheek. Squeezing Wynter's hand, he smiled at Sarah. "Thank you," he told the younger woman.

"You're welcome. I'm happy to."

The men headed to the chapel, a floor down, and half the hospital away. It was located in the oldest part of the building, secluded and nearly impossible to find.

"Dude, I had no idea where this was," Eagle said with a chuckle. "Doesn't look like people come here often."

"It's the least used room in the hospital," Obi said as they walked in. "Which is a shame. I've suggested moving it to a different location, where it's more accessible, but they won't do it."

"That's too bad," Sir said, crossing himself as he knelt.

"Are you Episcopalian too?" Eagle asked.

"I was raised Roman Catholic, but I've taken aspects of many religions. Whatever speaks truth to me, I believe."

Obi chuckled, nodding. "I got in the wrong business for that, but I think it's great that you can."

"You can, too," Sir said quietly. "It's a matter of faith, and what's important. If your vocation is true, and you firmly believe all you're taught, then you're in the right place. If not...."

A hot shaft of doubt pierced Obi's chest. Gasping, he dropped to a kneeler. Head resting on his folded hands, he felt hot tears on his cheeks.

"Oh, son, I'm sorry!" Sir crossed the aisle, sitting on the bench beside him. Enfolding Obi in his arms, he held him.

Eagle wasn't sure what to do. He'd never seen his brother so distressed.

"I never thought—I didn't want—!" Obi gasped. Shaking his head, he sobbed, hands pressing his chest.

"He didn't really want to be a priest," Eagle said. "As the eldest son, first grandchild, it's traditional. Expected."

"That's so hard," Sir said quietly, putting a comforting hand on Obi's shoulder. "I do hear good things about you. Even if you doubt, your parishioners don't. They admire and love Father Obadiah." He smiled, hugging Obi's shoulders. "My parents wanted me to be a doctor. Like you, my vocation was decided before I was born, and I got a family legacy handed to me."

"But you are a doctor," Eagle said.

"Yes, but they wanted a surgeon—preferably cardio-thoracic. I tried, but being a surgeon wasn't for me. It seemed wrong to cut into people, even if it helped them. Instead, I started looking into alternative, less invasive ways to do the same thing. I've been ostracized by my family, laughed at, belittled." Sighing, he shook his head. "I know the shame and guilt you feel, I truly do. You don't want to let your family down, worry you're not the right man for the job. But you're a good man, Obadiah Randolph. You need to find someone to talk to, in whom you can confide. You carry so many secrets from others, your spirit needs cleansing. Do you have a confessor of your own?"

Obi shook his head.

"If you don't want to talk to a fellow priest, I have a therapist in my office, who is very good and caring."

"We have a good friend who's a social worker," Eagle said.

"It might be good to talk to someone who's not known me my whole life," Obi said. "Karen is great, but I'd like an outside perspective."

"I'll make a call in a bit, and arrange it. He's very good."

"Thank you." He sighed, rubbing his face.

Eagle's phone buzzed. "It's Sarah. They're ready for us to come back."

"We'll keep it short, just say goodbye," Obi said as they stood. "Wanda's going to need her rest."

Taking a few minutes to say goodbye, they left. Wynter joined them, because Wanda wanted to sleep some more.

"Go home, have dinner. You don't have to stay every minute," her mother assured her.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm in good hands here. You need a chance to regroup and rest. I insist."

"If you're sure?"

"Positive." She gave Wynter a hug and kiss.

"We'll see her home," Sarah promised, giving Wanda a hug.

"Thank you, darling."

"You think Mama will be all right?" Wynter asked as they rode down in the elevator.

"Yes, she'll be fine," Sir assured her. "They have excellent staff here. She's in very good hands."

"I feel guilty—"

"No, don't," Obi said gently, taking her hand. "What are you going to do there while she's sleeping? You can go up and visit, but you don't have to stay every night. She'll need you more when she gets home."

"But is she going home?" Wynter gasped. "When? They're doing all this intensive therapy! Tests, maybe more surgery. I'm so scared!"

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...