Thursday, May 18, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 21


"It's going to be all right," Sarah said, putting her arms around Wynter. "You have to believe. Why don't we get you home, and let you pull yourself together. We can fix a nice dinner."

"I don't know if we have groceries. I've hardly been home."

"Then we order out, or go to the store," Eagle said. "How about this. Obi can take you home. Sarah and I can plan a meal and go to the store."

"What do you want me to do?" Sir asked with a smirk.

"Whatever you want. We're easy," Eagle replied.

"I think I'll head home. It's been a long day. I'll put the Spooky on for Wanda, and do a Reiki healing for her."

"You can do that, even from a distance?" Wynter asked. "I thought you had to be right with them."

"When you're as good as Dad, you can do a healing from around the globe."

"I want to know what a Spooky is," Obi said with a frown.

"It's a machine you can run with a computer. It can apply Royal Rife's frequencies," Sir explained.

Obi and Wynter shook their heads, not understanding.

"It uses frequencies to help heal. All I need is a few fingernail clippings, or hairs, and I can run the program for that person. I use it on patients in the office, but I also can run it for people like Wanda."

Wynter flung her arms around him, giving him a huge hug. "Thank you so much!" She hugged the others, too. "You've all been so helpful—to a total stranger. I just—I never met anyone like you!"

"You're not a stranger," Sarah assured her. "You're a sister, daughter. We've been family before, all of us. I feel it very strongly."

"So do I," Sir said.

Eagle nodded. Obi didn't say anything, but he had felt that way since he met her—as if he'd known her forever. He couldn't remember feeling that way about anyone else he'd just met. Instead, he gave her a hug, kissing her on the cheek.

"Let's get you home so you can have a shower and relax. We'll take care of everything."

"I can't keep asking for rides," Wynter said softly. "But I'm terrified to drive!"

"Obi can give you driving lessons," Eagle volunteered. "He's very patient, even with his goober of a younger brother. He taught me to drive."

"Did he really? Why?"

"Dad took me out once, but swore I'd kill us both, so he never took me again. I begged Obi to teach me."

"That was really kind of you."

"It was self-defense!" Obi stated with a smirk. "I knew if he was on the road, I wanted him to know what he was doing!"

Eagle socked him in the shoulder, just as Josiah rolled up.

"He giving you a hard time?" he asked Obi.

"He's my kid brother. We're bonding."

"Gotcha. You folks want a ride?"

"Love one," Wynter said. "I'm suddenly exhausted."

"Hop on!"

They all found spots to sit on the large cart, and he took off in his usual cavalier style. Squealing a little, the women clutched the mens' arms. Laughing, they trundled down the hill to their cars. Josiah dropped Sarah and Eagle first. Obi had parked further away than his brother.

Once they were settled in the car, Obi wended his way out of the parking lot. The far north driveway was blocked by cones, but he didn't realize it until he got to them. Backing and filling, he cursed under his breath.

Pressing her lips together, Wynter laughed at him. "Why, Father Randolph! Such language!"

"This is nothing," he muttered, frowning when he came up to more cones. "What the hell are they doing here? Signs would be nice!" he honked his horn sharply.

"Do you want me to do it?"

"No. I've got this." Pausing, he closed his eyes, foot on the brake. "It's the little things."

"Yeah." She understood without him explaining. The little things could mean so much, or irritate like nothing else. "I believe in you, Obi. You'll get us out of here."

"I wonder when they put this up. We came in this way less than two hours ago."

Wandering back to the front lot, he stopped by the valet desk, scrolling down his window as he slowed by one of the men.

"Hello, Father. What can I help you with?"

"I know it's not your fault," he began, taking a deep breath. "But what's with all the traffic cones?" He gestured behind them, explaining what they'd found.

The young man's eyes flew open in alarm. "Oh, crap! Are they out again?" Taking a step back, he ran a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry about that. Someone's been pranking us all day. We can't see over there from the desk, so we don't notice unless we're getting a car for someone. We take them down, they go back up."

"Why are there cones there to begin with?" Wynter asked.

"Honestly, I have no idea. They were sitting there one day, stacked. We thought it was hospital related."

"You should pick them up and move them over here, or hide them. I bet they won't come back as quickly."

His face broke into a wide smile. "Good idea! You all have a good day. I'll go fetch those now." Saluting, he trotted off to a small golf cart nearby. With a wave, he headed over to get the cones.

"That was a good idea," Obi said with a smirk. "What made you think of that?"

"If they were put there for a legitimate reason, someone will come looking for them. If, as I suspect, they were put there by someone who's pranking them, they won't."

"Where do you suppose they came from?"

"There's construction around the back. Didn't you notice it when you came looking for me?"

"I was concentrating on you – your safety. I didn't notice."

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...