Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 22


"Oh." Her voice sounded small and tight. Her lips trembled.

"I didn't mean to make you cry!" He felt helpless, because he was deep in traffic, and couldn't stop to grab tissues.

Fumbling with the glove compartment, she got them herself, dabbing at her eyes.

"I'm so sorry I made you cry."

"Not in a bad way," she sniffled, trying to smile. "That was so incredibly sweet. I don't think I properly thanked you for coming to get me. For keeping me safe, and finding Karen for me to talk to. She was such a wonderful help. She told me to call her anytime."

"She's good like that."

"And so are you. What's wrong?" She touched his cheek when they'd stopped for a light.

Pressing his lips in a firm line, he shook his head. "Not while I'm driving."

"Pull over," she gestured to a fast food restaurant parking lot. "I'll drive."

He snorted, shaking his head. "Sorry. I don't let anyone drive my car, except Clive or my dad."

"I see...." she said in a silly accent. "Zo....'e dozen't let a girrrrlll drife his kyare."

Unable to help himself, he started laughing. "What kind of accent was that supposed to be?"

"No idea," she giggled. "But it made you laugh."

"You'll notice, I did not include Eagle in that lineup, so it's not a boy/girl issue."

"You taught him to drive!" she protested.

"I did my best, but he still scares the crap outta me."

"And you don't trust me, huh?" Raising an unfriendly eyebrow, she looked askance.

"Be fair, by your own admission, driving in the city scares you silly."

Nodding, she smiled. "True. But I'd do it, if it meant you could relax a little."

"I'd be worried about you."

"I won't wreck your car, Obadiah," she snapped.

He touched her arm as he rolled to yet another stop. "I wasn't implying that. I know it makes you nervous." His hand drifted to hers. "I'm not him, Wynter. I won't make fun of you, belittle you...."

"Thank you. I promise the same."

"Good." His lips twitched as the light changed. "I still don't want you driving my car."

Laughing, she tapped him on the arm with her knuckles. A look of surprise crossed his face as he risked a glance at her.

"That all you got?" He made a rude noise.

"You're driving. I guarantee, I can hit better than that."

"You can prove it sometime. I have one of those contraptions which measures how hard you hit."

"Why on earth do you have that?"

"For the youth group fund raiser. It's one of the top attractions. I hit it first, and everyone lines up to try to beat my score."

"And do they?"

He flashed a smug expression as he pulled into her driveway. "Nope."

"You're full of surprises, Father Randolph."

He turned to her, face solemn. "I want you to agree to something."

"What's that?"

"Don't call me Father, when we're alone? When we're together, it's Wynter and Obi. Okay?"

Her fingers brushed his cheek, her thumb lingering by his lips. "Okay. I promise."

Unable to stop himself, he leaned across the console, intent on giving her a kiss. Someone thumped on the rear of his car, making him swear.

"What was that?"

"Move off the sidewalk, dummy!" a man bellowed.

"Who's that?"

"No clue. I think you're far enough into the driveway. I don't know what his problem is."

"It's tempting to run the prick over."

Her laugh was loud inside the car. "Obadiah! Shocking behavior from a priest!"

"I'm off the clock." He did, however, move the car up a little more. He didn't want to end up with a scratch or dent. He had a fairly good idea that would be the jerk's next move.

Hopping out of the car, he opened her door. She lost her balance getting out, tipping toward him as she fell. Obi grabbed her, holding her close. The desire to kiss her was even stronger, when she was in his arms. His right hand tangled briefly in her hair, his mouth hovering over hers....

Another car pulled up beside them and Clive got out. If he noticed how close they were standing, he didn't let on. Then again, Obi thought, he might have seen, and done it on purpose. He hadn't missed the way that Clive looked at Wynter. He needed his own woman, and Obi dearly wished he would find one. Not that Wynter was his—but the bond was there, forged by equal parts of misery and attraction. He couldn't put it aside.

"Eagle called me," Clive said rather sharply. "Thanks for the invite, Bro."

"I was going to call from here," Obi said. "I had it on my mind, just hadn't done it yet. Traffic on Twelfth was—exciting."

"I keep telling him I'll show him my back ways," Clive remarked to Wynter as he toted mysterious cloth bags to her porch. "But will he listen? Stubborn Scorpio."

Obi ruffled his brother's hair. Clive retaliated with a shoulder punch.

"Ow!" Obi yelped, grabbing his shoulder.

"What? What did I do?" Clive asked, suddenly worried.

"I guess Eddie got me more than I thought," Obi said. "I'm okay. Just hurt for a second."

"You have Sarah look at that when she gets here," Clive said. "Or I'll sit on you, and make you."

"No need for violence," Wynter said as she unlocked her door. "Obi will do it, won't you." She didn't ask a question, that was a command.

"As the lady wishes," he bowed, wincing.

"That's it. Sit." She pointed to the living room. "Kitchen is through there," she told Clive, pointing to the back of the living room, where a white wooden door hung. "You can drop whatever in there. I'll help you put it up, as soon as I get him an ice pack."

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...