Thursday, May 11, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 19

Obi's face turned solemn. "I'm okay, really. It's an interesting subject."


Wynter's phone rang. "It's Mama." She had a short conversation with her mother. "She'd like you to drop by, if you feel up to it."

"Sure. Let me change into my working togs."

"Not necessary," Wynter said. "It doesn't have to be an official visit."

"I'm going in my professional capacity. Eagle, can you find my bag? It should be in the front closet on the floor."

"Yeah. Sure. Why?"

"Sacrament of the Sick." He trudged upstairs.

"What's that?" Wynter asked.

"He can bless someone who's sick, and pray for healing. Catholics do it, too. When I broke my arm, Father Faraday did that for me. The doctor was amazed at how fast I healed."

A few minutes later, Obi came back downstairs, dressed in a fresh black shirt and collar. His hair was slicked back, making him look older and more professional. Quietly, he took the bag from Eagle. It looked rather like a doctor's medical bag.

"Shall I just send Sarah and her dad to the hospital to meet you?"

"Yes, that would be great," Wynter said. "Thank you, Eric." She gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"You're welcome."

At the hospital, Obi was greeted as an old friend. The fellow at the desk was a parishioner, who had grown up with him.

"You okay, Father? You're kinda quiet."

Wynter was going to answer, but Obi beat her to it.

"Got in a conflict with Edward Lancaster. He tried to choke me."

"No kidding? Damn! I hope they lock that crazy man up tight, and don't let him out. Remind me to tell you about the kerfuffle he had with my dad! Another time. Tell your mom I'll keep her in prayer," he told Wynter.

"Thank you."

They headed up to Wanda's room together. When they arrived, Wanda gave her a kiss and asked her to leave.

"I have a few things to say in private. I didn't get it all off my chest yesterday."

"Okay. I'm going to the cafeteria and see if I can find something decent for you to eat."

"Uber Eats delivers here," Obi told her.

"Really? Cool. I'll contact them." Fiddling with her phone, she walked out.

"What's on your mind, Wanda? Would you like to make a Confession?"

"Yes. I have a few things on my mind, but I don't want you to tell Wynter."

"If you ask me for confidentiality, we don't need the Confessional for that."

"All right."

He scooted closer to the bed, taking her hand in his.

"If anything happens to me, I want to ask you to watch over Wynter. She has no one else here, and barely sees her sisters. I'm afraid that they'll argue, after I'm gone."

"How many sisters?"

"Two younger, like you and your brothers. Frankie is three years younger, and Emily is nine. They love each other, but fight like cats."

Obi chuckled. "Wouldn't know anything about that. My brothers and I are perfect."

Wanda swatted at him. "Of course, you are. I've made Wynter executrix. I hope I made the right decision. Her sisters—especially Emily—can be difficult. I don't want them to bully her."

"I don't think you need to worry about that, but I promise to keep an eye. Don't be so negative, Wanda. I've seen people in terrible shape, who manage to survive this. We have to put it in God's hands."

"I know, darling. But sometimes, God doesn't answer the way we want him to."

Obi knew that was true. More than once, he prayed hard for things, only to have them ignored. "It's enough to shake the faith of anyone. Even a priest."

"Agreed. I see the pain in you. It's like gaping wounds in your soul. You need her, as much as she needs you." She paused patting his hand. "You're such a good man, a dear friend. That's what she needs right now."

"I know. Me too. The idea of romantic involvement—" He shook his head. "It's too much. I need a friend, and I hope to be that to her, as well."

"You already have been. You've done more for her in two days, than that horrible man did in two years. Has she told you about him?"

"Only his name, and that he was her boss."

"Then I won't share details, which she might not want you to know yet."

He nodded.

"He was awful to her, we'll leave it at that."

"Would I want to kill him, or simply render him unconscious?"

"The former, I think. That's as may be. I've made provisions in my will, for her to get my house and get a stipend for dealing with the will. I know that the other girls will fight with her. If she has you to confide in, it will be a big help."

"I'm here for the duration, Wanda. Anything you need—either of you. I'm here."

"Thank you. I appreciate that. Will you pray with me, now?"

"I'd be happy to. Let me give you the healing blessings first."

"Thank you."

He went through the ritual with her, anointing her head, hands and feet with the sacred oils. Afterward, they prayed together, until someone knocked at the door. It was Wynter, with Sarah and her father.

"Eagle's parking the car," Sarah explained. "He brought us over."

"That was kind of him," Wanda said. "Sir, it's good to see you."

"Good to see you, too, Wanda. I hear you're under the weather."

Wanda laughed loudly. "I've got a storm on me."

"Then let's see if we can't ease that some. Wynter said that you like a special tea blend. She gave me some, and I added a few things which will help ease the nausea, when it comes." He handed her a packet of aromatic tea.

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...