Thursday, May 04, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 17

 

Obi's face hardened. "I'll kindly ask you to leave, Eddie. You're angry and irrational. I'm concerned about your blood pressure."

"You have some nerve!" Lancaster advanced.

Obi stood his ground as the older man advanced. He was so angry, veins throbbed in his face and neck. He turned red from the shoulders up. Spittle flew from his mouth as he yelled. Through it all, Obi stayed quiet. Finally, Lancaster stopped for breath, chest heaving.

"If you're quite finished...."

"I'm just getting started!"

The phone rang in his office. Without a word, Obi went to answer it. Lancaster lunged at him, grabbing the back of Obi's priest collar. Suddenly, the older man was yanked backward. His hold loosened as he flailed around, arms windmilling. Trying to catch his balance, he gurgled. Spinning around, Obi crouched, waiting for further assault.

Eagle had the back of Lancaster's shirt in his fist. "He bothering you, bro?"

"Yeah." Digging his phone from his pocket, he called the police. After explaining the situation, he hung up.

Lancaster hung limply from Eagle's fist, the bluster out of him. A police car rolled up in front of the church. Obi opened the door, and two uniformed officers came in. As soon as he saw them, Lancaster started yelling and fighting against Eagle's grip. One officer cuffed him. The other read his rights, and he was summarily taken to the cruiser and shut inside.

"Thank you," Obi said, straightening his collar. "Eagle, thanks, man." He clasped his brother's hand, pulling him into a hug.

"Wanna tell me why I've just arrested Edward Lancaster?" the officer, whose name was Avery, asked. He was shorter than Obi and Eagle, but broader in the chest.

"Yeah. Let's go to my office. Can I get you a drink? I've got water and coffee."

"I'm good. Thanks."

"I'll take a water," Eagle said. He got one for himself from the small fridge. He handed one to his brother.

Together, the brothers explained what had happened. Obi's voice was rough. His throat hurt from the tugging Lancaster had done.

"When I got here, that old man was in Obi's face, yelling and spitting. He grabbed his collar and yanked. I thought he was going to kill my brother, so I grabbed him."

"Is that how you remember it?" Avery asked Obi.

"Yes, sir."

"I don't suppose you have video cameras?"

"Yes, sad to say we've had to come to that. What with church related crimes.... Outside and at major areas. There are two in the narthex." He pointed to the front doors. "I'll get you that footage. The recorder is in Mrs. Bannister's—" Hands shaking, he dropped his water.

Eagle leaped to his feet. "Obi! Call an ambulance!" he yelled at the cop.

Avery already had his radio in his hand, talking quickly. Eagle knelt at his brother's side. Moments later, Clive was with him. Mrs. Bannister stood in the hallway, watching.

"Give him some air," she said sharply. "Obadiah, what's wrong?"

Eagle explained. Nodding, she went to the vestry, taking something from the cupboard. She came back with an unopened bottle of sacramental wine.

"I can't drink that!" Obi whispered hoarsely, horrified.

"Sure, you can. It hasn't been blessed yet."

Eagle cracked it open, pouring him some wine in a glass she had with her. "Drink it."

The ambulance arrived before Obi was force fed the wine. EMT's walked in. Eagle explained again, and the medic checked Obi's throat carefully.

"It's the shock," the head EMT declared. "You're fine, Father. You'll have some bruising on your throat. You'll want to be careful how much you speak, the next few days."

Obi chuckled. "My job kind of entails a lot of talking." His voice was rough, strained.

"As little as possible. You'll be fine in a few days. That wine won't hurt a thing," he said as he got up.

Clive handed it to Obi, who dutifully sipped it.

Avery's radio crackled. "Go for Avery."

"Sir, he's like—coding! I don't know what's up!"

"I'll be right out," the medic said. Taking his bag, he ran to the car.

"He has high blood pressure," Obi told the officer. "He's had a couple strokes."

"Thanks." He followed the medic outside.

Moments later, the cop car roared away, siren blaring. The medic rode in the back with Lancaster. The ambulance followed at a more sedate pace.

"That was far too much excitement," Mrs. Bannister said with a sniff.

They all agreed with her.

"Did he ever say what he was mad about?" Clive asked.

"Not really. He yelled a lot, got up in my face, screaming. The phone rang. I went to answer, and he jumped me." He rubbed his throat, groaning softly.

"You head home," Mrs. Bannister said.

"I need to work on my sermon."

"You can do that from home. I can hold down the fort for the day. Eric can take you home. Clive can stay with me."

"Go," Clive said. "You need to rest. Eagle can take your car. We'll work out logistics to get him back to his, later."

"I'll Uber back over here, no worries," Eagle said. "Not taking no, blood," he told Obi.

Together, the three of them bundled Obi out the door. His phone rang. It was Wynter. Clive was closest to that pocket, so he answered.

"Is he okay?" she screeched, after Clive told her what had happened.

"He's fine. The EMT looked him over."

"I'll go by later," Obi whispered.

"No, you won't," Clive stated. "Sorry, he's saying he wants to come by later."

"Nonsense. Mama said he's to stay home. We'll manage."

"You should go by," they heard her mother saying in the background.

"I'll do that. Crap, I need a car."

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...