Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 14

 


"Dad is interested in a lot of different things. He's an MD, but he's learned Eastern Medicine, and alternative approaches to invasive procedures. I called and asked him about Dr. Joshua, who's going to put together Wanda's care plan. He says he's a good doctor, who incorporates alternat—"

He held up his hand, head tilted to one side as he tried to hear her more clearly. "Whoa. Head spinning. When did you stop talking like an addlepated bimbo?"

"Is that what you thought of me?" she was shocked and horrified.

"No. Truly not. I did think that there had to be more to you, for Eagle to like you. He's attracted to strong, intelligent women. You didn't seem his type at all."

"He's very deep."

"Yes, he is. Probably more so than I am, and I'm almost ten years older."

"You never had the opportunity to explore, like he has."

"You're very perceptive, Sarah."

"Thank you." She flashed a dazzling smile. "Eggs are ready. Hi, guys!" She'd set plates out on the table, serving each of them. Next, she got slices of French toast from the oven, distributing them around.

"Aren't you eating?" Eagle asked.

"I ate already. I've been up since six."

"Really?" Eagle was stunned. "Why?"

"I like to get up with the sun, do my yoga, meditate, say my prayers.... Do you do that?" she asked Obi.

"Not like I should. I do pray every day, but I don't always have time to meditate."

"And the yoga?" Clive asked, batting his eyelashes.

"Not much here lately. I swim every chance I get." He nodded at the enclosed pool behind the house.

"You do yoga?" Clive's tone was derisive.

"I've been known to do a downward dog or two."

"I wouldn't say that too loudly," Clive said in a serious tone. "Or people will lock up their pets." Winking, he got up to get more coffee.

Tossing back her head, Sarah laughed. "Eric, your brothers are a kick."

"You never call me Eric." He turned to Obi. "Did you break my girlfriend?"

"What? No. We had a nice conversation before you came in. We're buds now."

"You. And my girlfriend. Are buds?" Shaking his head, he waved that possibility away.

"Why's that so hard to believe?" Sarah bridled. "Do you think men don't want me for a bud?"

"That's not what I meant. Help me out here," he appealed to Obi, because Clive was ready to throw him under the next bus.

"What Eric is saying, is he didn't think you and I got along." He turned to his youngest brother. "But we do. And she is. Deal with it."

He and Sarah did a high five, hands connecting without looking at one another. Eagle wasn't sure how to handle that, so he simply drank his coffee.

Sarah excused herself to go upstairs and shower. Eagle punched Obi on the arm.

"Since when do you get along so well with Sarah?"

"Since I discovered that she's not a bobble toy. She's very smart, and really nice."

"Did you think I'd date her if she weren't? You're such a snob!"

"What! Me? I'm not a snob."

"You are. You look at the outside, and don't see the inside. Sarah is bright, funny, beautiful. I really like this girl, Obi. I want your blessing, man."

"Wait. What?" Clive butted into the conversation. "What are you saying?"

"I think I'm in love," Eagle replied defensively. "And you know I've never said that before—about any girl." There had been a lot of women in his life, more than his brothers combined. "Why do you think we're still together? Usually, I get tired of them, and tell them to shove off. But this girl—woman—she's special."

"Because she's your soul mate?" was Clive's obnoxious reply.

Eagle punched his arm, hard. "Would you not belittle that? Honestly, yes. I know you think that's a bunch of nonsense, but the fact is, when we met, something clicked! It's like I had this big, gaping hole in my chest. I met her, and the hole filled in. There wasn't enough sex in the world, to stop that up. But Sarah did, just by saying hello. And, just so we're square, she and I aren't having sex."

"Yet, you sleep together," Clive said.

"Yeah. So? Sometimes, it's nice to wake up to another person. You should try it, maybe you wouldn't be such a prick."

Waving his hands, Clive shook his head. "I don't get it, but fine. I hope the two of you are very happy."

"We are!" Eagle called after him. "I really hope you can find your soul mate," he said softly. "It's the greatest thing in the world."

"Tell me you don't believe this crap," Clive appealed to Obi.

"I do. More than I thought, actually."

"Do you believe that you and Wynter are soul mates?"

"No. But I believe we're good friends, and that friendship will grow. Maybe, one day, it will be more. For now—" his phone rang. Wynter's face appeared on the screen. "Speaking of...." Walking onto the pool deck, he answered. "Hiya! How's Mama?"

"Anticipating her first chemo treatment in about an hour. You?"

"Got to get ready for work. They make me dress up in this funny outfit, with clown shoes. I need to get the trappings of my profession on."

She giggled. "I won't hold you up. Mama wondered if you'd be able to stop by later?"

"I'd be happy to. Call me when it's a good time, and I'll drop by."

"Thank you. Go be spectacular, in your clown shoes."

"Will do. You, too."

After hanging up, Obi held the phone as he stared into space. He couldn't believe how good he felt, simply talking to her for a couple minutes.

"Don't you need to go put on your clown shoes?" Clive asked. He was standing in the kitchen doorway, leaning against the frame, a cup of coffee in his hands.

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...