Tuesday, June 01, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 28

"Phoebe, I have a proposal for you," Mara said.

"I'm listening."

"I've been thinking a lot since I got home. It occurred to me that Jack takes advantage of us both. You've been working with me for the last couple of years, you know nearly as much about the historical projects as I do. Your research skills are superb, so why does Jack have you working as my assistant, instead of promoting you?"

"No clue, Mara. I've asked him many times. He tells me you want me to stay. Not that I ever believed him...."

"And when I've asked him, he tells me you want to stay. I never believed that, either. If I'm such an asset, why won't he make me a partner now, instead of waiting?"

"We're girls! And he's a conceited, chauvinistic prick!"

"Pretty much what I was thinking as well. So, how would you feel about starting our own agency? I know we can get clients. I work closely with some of the most prestigious firms in the area. They're loyal to me, not to Fisk Brothers."

"Start our own? You mean as partners? I'm not even a full fledged architect yet, I'm a draftsman."

"But you're the best, Phoebe, and I need you with me. We'll work your hours so you can go to school, if you want. What do you think? In fact, if I can get the backing, and I think I can, the company will pay for your school."

"Oh, Mara! Do you think we could?"

"I've got some people to talk to, but yes, I think so. In fact, I know we can. Will you do it? Will you come with me?"

"I can't quit until I have a sure thing."

"I'm not asking you to. We'll get it all in place, then give our notice. I don't want any baggage with Jack, but I won't stay under his thumb, either."

"I'm in!"

They shook hands as their meal was arriving. The waiter served them quickly, smiling at each of them as he left the table.

"He's cute," Phoebe commented after he left. "I wonder if he's single." She watched the guy walking away, admiring the view.

Mara giggled. "Ask him when he comes back to the table. He is cute."

"So tell me more about Cole. It's serious, I take it? No man spends that kind of money on flowers if he's just after a piece of ass."

"Yes, it's serious."

"You won't pull out of this office deal will you? I mean if you marry him, will you move to the island with him?"

"We could relocate. Would you mind living in a tropical paradise?"

"I don't know, are all the guys as good looking as Cole?"

"You don't know what he looks like."

"I don't have to, he's sexy and romantic. He must be drop dead gorgeous!"

Giggling more, they finished their dinner and ordered strong coffee and Tiramisu for dessert. The stress of the day had caught up with Mara. Phoebe dropped her at Toby's house around seven. She said hello, hugged and kissed Toby and Olivia, and lay down until time to go to the hospital to see her mother.

Toby had soft, lyrical tunes playing on the speakers. She turned the wall unit in her room low and lay down in the semi-dark. Curled in the coverlet, she fell asleep.

Cole's trip seemed destined for failure from the outset. First his Jeep refused to start, even though there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Red couldn't take him to the airport, and he couldn't reach his father. Furious, he flung his phone across the room, then picked it up and called a cab company. The cab ran late, got stuck in heavy traffic and he nearly missed his flight. Running hell bent for leather, he got to the gate just as the flight attendant was closing the door.

"Wait! Wait please! I have to be on that flight!"

"I need your boarding pass, sir."

He handed her all his paperwork and tried to catch his breath. She took the things she needed and opened the door.

"Thanks!"

He dashed down the ramp and got to the plane just in time. He found his seat in first class, tossing his carry on bag in the upper compartment. The flight attendant smiled pleasantly at him. She was a pretty thing with blonde hair and dimples. Under normal circumstances, he'd have hit on her in a heartbeat, but nothing was normal anymore.

"Are you all right, sir?"

"Yeah," he gasped. "Just had a hard time getting here. Did you ever have a day where it seemed like nothing went right?"

"Sure did," the older man next to him remarked without being asked. "It started when you ran in here like a hooligan. I thought I'd have the whole two seats to myself." He grinned, tipping his hat. "Mitch Mullican," he introduced himself.

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books


No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...