Thursday, June 03, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 29

 


"Cole Bayard." The two men shook hands.

"You don't mind my saying, young man, you look like a man on a mission. Got something important back in the States?"

"Yeah, you might say that. Ebony hair, big blue eyes, gorgeous smile...."

"Ah, indeed, the most important mission in life. Why the rush? Is she supposed to marry somebody else?"

"Nothing like that. I came to the sudden realization that I can't live without her. Since I'm fond of my life, I thought I'd better tell her."

"Mine was supposed to get married," the old man said with a thoughtful smile. "She was all set to marry a man who didn't deserve her. We met when I was on leave in the Army, and she was on vacation in Miami. My buddy and I were playing Frisbee on the beach and he damn near beaned her with the disk. I ran over to apologize, and it was love at first sight."

"Wow, that's so weird! My friend hit Mara with a volleyball, and it landed right in her lap. I still don't know if he did it on purpose or not."

"My buddy did. He wanted to meet her himself, but I beat him to it." The old man chuckled and winked. "I was pretty good looking in those days, and had the build of a Greek god. Least that's what Leslie told me." He chuckled. "But she was supposed to marry another man. We had a week together, and I was determined to make her mine forever."

"What did you do?"

"Well, my leave was up two days before her wedding, so I grabbed a train from Miami to Vicksburg, where she was from. I got to the church right as the wedding march started."

"Did you stop the wedding?"

The old man shook his head. "Nope, didn't have to. Seems she left the guy at the alter and ran off with the best man. Fickle, that's what she was. I got to be pretty good pals with her groom though. I still hear from him and his wife at Christmas. He married the bride's maid a couple years later."

"Did you ever marry?"

"Sure did! Her name was Sally. She was an officer in the women's auxiliary. Hell of a looker." He dug around and took out a faded picture from his wallet. "She died ten years ago," he said quietly.

"She's beautiful," Cole said honestly. "I hope you were really happy."

"Like heaven," Mitch sighed. "Just like heaven." Sniffing loudly, he took a handkerchief out of his pocket and blew his nose. "So, she isn't marrying someone else?"

"No."

"Thank God for that! Well, I hope you catch up to her soon, young man. Life's too short not to enjoy the hell out of it while you can."

The flight attendant brought around drinks. Cole took a scotch and soda on the rocks and held it to his forehead for awhile. The cool moisture felt good on his face. He downed the drink and fell asleep. He woke an hour or so later when the flight attendant, Andi, made an announcement.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I have your attention please? Due to weather conditions in the Miami area, we're being diverted to Orlando. We should be landing in another forty-five minutes. Those of you with connecting flights will be given accommodations at the airport hotel. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Loud groans were heard all over the plane. Cole's was among the loudest. He hit the flight attendant call button. Andi answered with a smile.

"Yes, sir?"

"Are you absolutely sure there are no connecting flights? I'm in a hurry."

"No, sir. At least that's the information I was given. Where are you trying to go?"

"Chesapeake, Virginia."

She frowned, thinking for a moment.

"I don't know. You'd have to ask when we land. They will have that information at the desk."

"Thanks."

"You need to fasten your seat belt."

Cole did up his belt and put his seat up without really paying attention to it. He was annoyed and distracted, wondering how he was going to get to Mara. He disembarked, picked up his luggage and sat sullenly by the fountain in the Orlando airport, watching arrivals across from the Disney store. Disgruntled and discouraged, he tried to gather his thoughts.

The people at the desk had been harassed and not terribly helpful. There were no connecting flights remotely close to his destination. The best he could do was take a flight to Atlanta, but there were no guarantees he'd get a flight out. Instead, he decided to take a room at the airport hotel and hope he could fly out the next day.

He heard shuffling steps behind him. Mitch Mullican flopped down on the bench next to him. "So, any luck?"

"No. I'm stuck here for the time being."

"How about you get checked in, and we'll go get something to eat?"

"Sounds like a plan, Mitch."

"Sure does. Man's got to eat. Once you catch up to that young lady, you're gonna need all your strength to greet her properly." He winked, nudging Cole in the ribs.

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...