Tuesday, June 08, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 30


Cole chuckled. "Too true, the lady has high expectations."

They walked to the front desk of the hotel. He and Mitch went together to find their rooms.

"I come through here and Miami a lot. I own a company out of Jacksonville, but we have branches in the Islands, down here and Miami as well."

"What business are you in?"

Mitch chuckled and hitched up his belt. "I am the Sno-Cone King," he said proudly. "My company supplies all the products necessary to make Sno-Cones: ice shavers, syrups, paper cones, the works."

"Fantastic! I'll be sure to raise a toast to you, the next time I have one."

Dinner was delicious. They found a steak house in Orlando that Mitch recommended. "Has the best T-bone in the state," he said with the authority of a man who traveled a lot and ate out often.

They walked into the dark interior, finding it difficult to see for a moment as their eyes adjusted. The hostess approached with menus and a big smile.

"Hey there, Mitch!" She hugged him warmly.

"Hey, Brandi!" He returned the hug and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Meet my friend, Cole."

She had dark hair piled loosely on top of her head and was wearing a skimpy tank top with Daisy Dukes shorts. She was well built and young enough to be trouble. Cole kept his hands and his lips to himself as she hugged him too. The band was just warming up and Cole hoped they'd be good. He needed some music to distract him. As they walked past, the drummer leaned forward to stare at him.

"Cole? Is that you?"

"Chase? By God! Good to see you!"

It was one of the bands Red represented. He introduced Mitch to the guys and Brandi seated them near the stage. Cole had to admit he was glad they were the ones playing. Their music was upbeat and easy to listen to, along the lines of an indie-folk blend.

"Talk to you after the set," the front man, Tal, told him.

"See you then."

Cole sat back and enjoyed the music while they waited for their meal. Brandi brought them on sizzling platters complete with potatoes and fresh, hot bread. The steaks were great and done to perfection. Cole sat quietly, hardly speaking to his companion unless Mitch initiated a conversation.

After dinner, over coffee and the best Key Lime pie he'd ever tasted, he apologized. "I'm sorry, Mitch. I'm terrible company. Everywhere I look, I'm seeing Mara walk by, hearing her laugh.... Sometimes, I turn my head, and I catch the fragrance of her perfume. I'm losing my mind."

"Cole, I'm inclined to agree with you. But I understand. When you meet the right woman, things just don't go right until you're together. I've had my share of bad relationships. I didn't find Sally right away. After Leslie, I went into a slump, and thought my best way to drag myself out, was to bed every woman I could find."

"Did that work?"

"No." The old man chuckled. "But it was a hell of a ride. Which ended abruptly when I contracted a furious case of the clap. I got more careful after that."

The band finished their set and several of them came to sit down by Mitch and Cole. The restaurant was fairly empty since it was still somewhat early. They had a pitcher of beer brought to the table and sipped thirstily for several minutes.

"So, Cole. Why are you in Orlando? I thought you were helping with the vid for that other band." Tal snapped his fingers, trying to remember the name. "Larkspur?"

"Spurlack," Cole chuckled. He'd told the band more than once to change its name, but they didn't want to.

"Does that mean anything?"

"Not a clue. Means nothing to me but a fat paycheck. As to why I'm here, long story short, I missed my flight. I was supposed to go to Miami and head to Virginia."

"Bummer! So what's in Virginia?" Chase asked him.

"Prettiest brunette I've ever met. She hooked me good and proper." He sighed, thinking of Mara's smooth skin and sweet lips. "Damn," he cursed softly. "You had to make me think of her, didn't you?"

"So, exactly where?" This from Tal.

"Chesapeake."

"Well, it's not much, but I can offer you a ride up as far as Emporia, Virginia with us. We've got a gig up in D.C. not tomorrow, but the next night. We leave in the morning. We're on the tour bus, so it's not as quick as a flight, but it's an option. At least you'd be heading in the right direction."

"You'd do that for me?" Cole was touched and amazed.

"You're like family, bro. You and Red take good care of us. Anything we can do to repay you, we'll do."

"It's a karma thing," Chase told them. "You make good karma, it comes your way. Sounds corny, but it works, man!"

"You staying for the next set?"

Mitch and Cole exchanged looks. "Why not? I've got nowhere pressing to go. Do you, Cole?"

"No, but will they let us stay that long? We're taking up a table."

"I know the owner pretty well," Mitch told him with a wink. "I married his sister. We're among family. We can stay as long as we like."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...