Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 32


"When my legs no longer carry, and the warm wind chills my bones, I just reach for Mother Mary and I shall not walk alone."

Before she knew it, she was singing with the strong, gentle, voices softly at first and then with more energy. I Shall Not Walk Alone by Ben Harper, was her favorite gospel song. She could remember singing it with the choir. It gave her the strength she needed knowing that no matter what, she wasn't alone. She had Jesus, her family and Cole. Feeling better, she rose, crossed herself out of habit, and walked back to her mother's room in a better frame of mind.

Toby and her mother were talking quietly and earnestly as she walked in. The conversation stopped abruptly and she sensed they had been discussing her.

"Feeling better now?" Her mother asked, not unkindly. She held out her hand.

Taking her mother's hand, Mara sat on the side of the bed.

"I'm sorry you got so upset, dear," her mother said softly. "Cissy's always been so sensitive about everything. Toby gave me a more accurate account of her behavior this morning. It seems she left a few key points out."

"She always does," Toby interjected.

"In any case, I'm sorry I snapped at you."

"It's okay." She hugged her mother, laying her head on her shoulder.

"The doctor was in while you were gone. He says if I'm a good girl, he'll cut me loose tomorrow evening. You'll be able to get back to your vacation sooner than we anticipated," her mother said softly.

"Not until you're one hundred percent," Mara told her. "I'm not going to make another flight like the last one. It was horrible, not knowing."

"As you wish, dear," Rosaline smiled. "I know arguing with you won't do anything but make me tired. She always was the stubborn one," she said to Toby.

"Yeah, takes after her mother." He chuckled as they both stuck their tongues out at him.

"I think I'd like to go to sleep now," Rosaline said. "I love you, children, but I really need to rest."

"Of course, Mom," they said in unison.

Knowing her mother was better, Mara decided to go into the office the next morning and get the rest of her files done. She didn't want Jack to have any reason to delay her. Phoebe was waiting with a cup of coffee and some muffins on a tray. The files were stacked and color coded; urgent flagged red, moderate were green, and those that could wait were blue. By lunch they had taken quite a chunk out of them, but still weren't done.

"Are they mating in their stacks? I swear, I think we have more than we did when we started," Phoebe complained.

"I was wondering the same thing," Mara sighed heavily. "How did we do this before I left? I feel like I'm off my game."

"We don't have Jack breathing down our necks," Phoebe admitted frankly. "He has great motivating potential."

"True. I wonder why he's been so invisible."

Phoebe raised an eyebrow and looked smug.

"What do you know that you aren't telling me?"

Her assistant leaned over the desk conspiratorially. "He's scared to death he's going to lose you, that's why. He knows what you said to him was true. He needs you a lot more than you need him. He's got some new clients he's hoping to charm into signing with us, but only if you're on board. Now would be a good time to hit him up for a raise." She giggled, taking a sip of her cold coffee.

"Who needs a raise? I just want my vacation." Mara's phone buzzed. "Yes, Debbie?"

"Miss Cross, I've got a call for you on line one."

"Thanks, Deb. Who is it?" She secretly hoped it was Cole.

"I think it's your brother, he didn't say."

"Thanks, Debbie." She clicked the proper button and found herself talking to Toby.

"Mara, thank God! Are you free to stay with Livi? I've gotten called in to a meeting, I can't get out of it. I can't reach her sister, and seems like no one else is available. I knew you were putting in only the half day...."

"Chill, bro. Yes, I'll be there as soon as possible. Do you have to leave yet?"

"No. I can wait about twenty minutes, then I have to go."

"I'll be home in ten." She hung up, grabbed her purse and jacket and headed for the door, explaining to Phoebe as she went.

Jack Simpson was walking toward her with two important looking men in his wake. He blocked Mara's path with a subtle shift of his hips.

"Excuse me, Jack. I was just leaving."

"Mara, I've got some people I wanted you to meet."

"Jack, at any other time I'd be delighted. But I've got a family emergency. I'll see you later."

"But, Mara, wait!" He practically ran after her.

The confused clients stood by Debbie's desk. Phoebe walked over and introduced herself.

"I'm Miss Cross' personal assistant. Let me make her apologies. Her mother is in the hospital and her sister-in-law is quite ill. Complications with her pregnancy. I'm sure you understand." She didn't much care if they did or not, she was trying to deflect them. "I work very closely with Miss Cross. May I answer any questions you might have?"

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...