Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 36

 


His bags were packed, he'd checked out and he was downstairs having a cup of coffee and a Danish by the airport pickup lane when the bus pulled up to the curb. Tal and the driver hopped out, helped him with his bags. They were on the bus in less than five minutes.

"We're on our way," the driver said with a grin. "Sit back and enjoy the ride, brothers. Let Lenny do the driving!"

"What choice do we have?" Chase hunkered down and pulled his cap over his eyes. "You won't let us drive."

"That's because I don't trust you." Lenny chuckled and pulled into the early morning Orlando traffic.

Cole stopped watching as they magically avoided one accident after another on the Expressway and made their way to the interstate. Cole woke up somewhere in Georgia. It was all tall trees and straight road, as nameless and featureless as the ocean. Bored, he talked to Lenny for awhile and found him to be moderately entertaining. However, since most of his conversation centered around how many bands he'd driven on tour, how many beers he drank on tour, and how many women he got because he drove the band on tour, Cole lost interest fairly soon.

"The guys have some video games in the back," Lenny told him. "There's a Sony Playstation and an X-Box hooked up. Take your pick."

"Got any books?"

"Might be a couple. The guys are more interested in video entertainment. I've got a lot of movies and a DVD player if you want to see something. I've got connections out of Puerto Rico, I can get just about any movie you want really cheap. Pirated of course, but what the hell?"

"Got paper and a pen?"

"Check the cupboard over the table. Should be some in there."

Cole thanked him and went to search for the paper. He'd just remembered he had a dance he had to choreograph. If he was lucky, he'd have some of it done before he got off the bus.

"Hey, Lenny! Do you have any CD's?"

"Yeah, tons. Whatcha want?"

"Spindle Twisters?"

"Those boy band fags? Yeah. You want the first or second album?"

"The one with the feet and fruit on it."

"That's number one. What you want to listen to that gay, teeny-bop crap for? They suck."

"Because they are paying me an ass load of money to choreograph their tour." He grinned and winked at Lenny. "And I agree, they suck, but the kids like them."

"Not into pop music myself. These guys I like, though." He gestured at the bus, indicating the band. "I go to every concert. They're gonna make it big one day, you mark my words."

Cole listened to the CD, jotting down some notes. He listened again to each song, breaking them down into sections. These he started to diagram, getting more specifics on paper. It kept him occupied for the next few hours while the guys slept or played video games.

"Next stop, Emporia, Virginia," Lenny told them. "We're going up to D.C., staying at some podunk, blow ass motel on the outskirts. But that's the spot to exit for Suffolk. How're you getting where you're going?"

"See a car rental anywhere? I'll buy a damn car if I have to."

They found a car rental place and the bus pulled up in front of it.

"You'll be okay from here?" Tal asked him, concerned.

"I'll be fine. I appreciate this guys, I really do. If I can ever do anything for you, let me know."

"Just invite us to play at the wedding," Chase told him. "Peace, bro!"

They climbed back on the bus and Lenny pulled away with a blast of his horn. Cole took his bags and went to the desk at the car rental. Fifteen minutes later, gassed up and ready, he pulled into traffic heading toward Cheapeake. He hoped Mara would be easy to locate, because his directions weren't the best. He did have a map, that would be a big help. He couldn't help wishing for a GPS. On the off chance she'd be home, he called. There was no answer, but he left a message. He also called work, but the girl on the phone didn't seem to be too on the ball.

"I just know she had to go home," she told him. "Maybe Phoebe knows. Hang on. Hey, Phoebe! Some guy on the phone for Mara."

A moment's pause and he heard the phone be handed to someone else.

"Hello, I'm Phoebe, Mara's assistant. How may I help you?"

"I'm trying to reach Mara. I can't get her at home. Do you know where I can find her?"

"Are you a client?"

"No, a friend. My name is Cole Bayard."

"Oh, my God. No way!" She put her hand over the phone, but Cole could still hear her. "Debbie, it's the flower guy!" There was a lot of excited female screaming and giggling.

"Uh, Phoebe? Do you know where I can reach her?"

"No, but I've got her cell number, do you want it?"

"Actually, I wanted to surprise her. Could you call her and find out for me? Then give me a call back, I'll need some good directions."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...