Thursday, April 07, 2022

Game Junkies ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes ~ Part 10

 "That was quite an admission, Ave. And it makes me very hopeful that soon you'll be ready to let me—whatever you want to let me do. I'm a man, I think in primitive terms. I can't help that. But I want more than just the sex. I hope you know that. It feels weird and great saying I love you. I love you."

Colby stared a long time at his phone before tossing it on the table. He didn't know if Avery would call back or not. That wasn't an easy admission for her to cope with. He hoped that she wasn't crying again. He felt like enough of a douche as it was. If she was crying because she'd shared her feelings with him, that would be horrible.

What am I doing? What am I even thinking? I have no idea. This is all pretty odd for me. It's strange for Avery too. I know it is, but—what are we thinking? What if this doesn't work out? Can we go back to being friends?

"I'm making myself fucking crazy!" he yelled.

Television held no allure. Instead, he turned on his game console and accessed Call of Duty. Maybe a few missions would help him clear his head. He went on Avery's favorite channel, but she wasn't there. He left and went to her second choice. She wasn't there either. Frustrated, he scrolled through the choices and found one Narlee Doosh Fux. There were only a few players on. He joined a team and started playing.

There was a character there named Prima Donna. She wasn't speaking, but she moved and fought like Avery. It wasn't her usual name, but he was sure it was she. He didn't let on that he knew, but watched carefully. When he was certain, he picked up his phone and sent her a text.

"I had a girl and Donna was her name...." Why he knew the lyrics to the old Ritchie Valens song, he had no idea.

You dick, she sent back.

Nope, but I have one. Wanna see? I'll take ya a picture.

You would not!

He wouldn't and they both knew it. His formative years had been spent in the company of a very proper grandmother.

How did you know it was me?

He quit texting and called. "Because no one else uses that particular death-wish style. I'd recognize it anywhere. So, are you talking to me now?"

"I got your message." Avery was very subdued, but cursed when her character died.

"And?"

"And I want something, too. I don't know what yet. I'm not good at this shit, Colb."

"You do fine. You'll get better at it. It's just me. My expectations are low."

"Oh, thanks!" She took a deep breath, ready to yell at him.

"I meant that I'm willing to take this slow."

"You weren't when you were over here."

"You showed me your tits, Avery. And you had your hand on my dick. You do know how the male body reacts to that sort of thing, don't you?"

"Yes, unfortunately. I wasn't thinking. I'm sorry."

"No, don't be. It was pretty great. We just need to work on timing."

"Why are you so good to me?"

"Because you let me be."

"You're sounding like a girl again, Colby."

"I'm not, and I've got the balls to prove it," he countered as he shot an enemy player.

"Yuck."

"If telling you how I feel is gonna make you say yuck, I'll just hang up."

She shot someone who'd come up behind him.

"Not mentioning balls would make me not say yuck."

Colby had to work through that statement before replying. "Okay. I'll refrain from mentioning testicles. But I reserve the right to use balls as a curse word."

Avery got shot. "Balls!" she screamed. "Okay, I concede that one. But nothing else. And no pictures."

He chuckled seductively. "The only way I want you to see them is up close and personal."

"Yuck, Colb."

"What can I say? You never used to get upset with this kind of thing. I've heard you talk this kinda trash hundreds of times."

"In general terms, not specifically your—Shit! Balls!" She got killed and he got hit right after her. "Your balls. In reference to me seeing them. Dammit, Colby. You know what I mean."

He did. Just like they had discussed the breasts of super models and movie stars. Not hers. Never hers.

"This is going to take some getting used to for both of us," Colby said softly. "But I'm willing to give it a try."

She paused. "Me too."

"You wanna come over?"

"You could come here."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...