Thursday, April 28, 2022

Game Junkies ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes ~ Part 17


Setting up the griddle, Avery stopped with her hand on the plug. "Is this going to change once we have sex?"

"Is what going to change?"

"This easy going, fun stuff. Our morning ritual."

Colby took her in his arms, pulling her close. "Why should it? This is us, who we are. The only difference will be we get to have fantastic sex the night before. And if we play our cards right, the morning of, as well. I promise, the only changes will be for the better."

"Really?" She seemed vulnerable and afraid.

Colby wanted to comfort her. He held her close, kissing her cheek and nuzzling her neck from behind. "Brutal Honesty—making love is great. And it gets better the more you do it."

"I won't be your first," she said, her lip trembling. "You'll be mine...."

"There haven't been that many, Avery. Three other girls, that's it."

"If you loved me so much, why did you date them?"

"Brutal Honesty? I didn't think you cared about me. I mean, we were friends, but the times I asked you out, you wouldn't go."

"Except to prom. I went to that."

"Yeah and we had a really great time. I want that back," he replied.

"Me too. Life is so much better now, though. I don't have to see my parents anymore. I don't have foster parents to ruin my life. I still have you and the guys. I don't know if I'd have made it, to where I am now, without the three of you. Stan's a goof and Gavin's a twit, but despite that, they're great—just like you."

"Am I a goof and a twit too?"

"Sometimes," she conceded, snuggling closer. "But you've always been there for me, and I don't know if I ever told you how much I've always appreciated that."

"Did I ever tell you how much I appreciated how great you were when my folks divorced? You saw me through some dark times."

"So did Stan and Gavin."

He smiled, nodding. "We need to find Gavin a woman. Ideas?"

"I was thinking of getting him a blow up doll for Christmas."

"Be nice."

"I'm not exactly Miss Popularity."

"Gavin doesn't need the prom queen, just a personable woman, who won't eat his soul for lunch."

"I'll see what I can figure out."

They made their pancakes and were about to serve their food when Colby's phone rang.

"Hey, Colb, it's Stan. You got jumper cables?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Alice's car won't start. Mine starts fine, but no jumper cables."

"You had a set. We bought them a few months ago. What happened?"

"Gavin."

"Oh."

Gavin had a flawless track record of borrowing things and never giving them back. So far, he was 0 for about 300. Usually, they didn't loan out their things to him, unless they were there when he finished, and could take them back.

"Where are you?"

"At Alice's. Not what you think! I came to pick her up for brunch."

"Okay. Give me a few minutes. We were just about to eat."

"Ohh, did my man hook up with—"

"No! Not like that, Stanley."

"Invite them to breakfast. I can put this in the oven and keep it warm," Avery suggested. "I can make a few more and fry up some potatoes and onions and make grits."

"I heard," Stan said. "Man, I have to suppress a drool. Avery's a hell of a cook. Hey, Alice," he put his hand over the phone. "Okay, cool!" he said a few moments later. "We'd love to. We can drive over in my car and eat, then maybe you could help me with the cables?"

"Sure. See you in a few."

"Fun! Our first official meal with friends." Humming, Avery went back to the kitchen, mixing more batter and chopping up potatoes and onions.

Colby offered to help her, but she was more comfortable in the kitchen than he was. He volunteered to make the bed and straighten up. While Avery cooked, he cleaned. It felt good to be domestic. He was far better at it when he was with her, than when he was by himself. He found he didn't mind setting her cozy apartment to rights. He sometimes had trouble with his own place, but Avery was particular about being neat.

Once he'd straightened up, he dressed before taking over meal prep. Avery dressed quickly and came back just as the last of the pancakes finished cooking. She stirred cheese into the grits as Colby checked the potatoes. Moments later, there was a knock at the door. Colby answered after glancing through the peep hole.

©2021 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...