Thursday, January 26, 2023

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 47


"I—uh—wanted to ask you. Did you see Alec? Speak to him?"

"I did. He asked me to look after Blythe. And he said to tell you not to miss him too much. He said he wanted you to be happy."

Jason blinked back a tear, wiping furiously at his nose. "Jesus! Really?"

"Yes. Stop putting it off, and be happy. That's exactly what he said. And he said goodbye."

Jason broke down, sobbing. Elam took him by the arms and pulled him into a hug. Jason cried on his shoulder, finally pulling himself together.

"You must think I'm behaving like a little kid," he muttered, wiping his eyes with the heels of his hands.

"No. It's the release, knowing that he's gone to a better place. He was your best friend. You're entitled to grieve, Jason."

"I was trying to be strong for Blythe."

"Being strong doesn't mean you deny your own feelings. What little I know about him, Alec was a great man. I hope that eventually, you and I will be good friends."

"I'd be proud to call you a friend, just like I was proud of Alec." He shook Elam's hand before pulling him into a man hug.

"I thought I heard your voice," Lori said, walking up from the living room. "Are you okay, babe?"

"I'm great now," he replied, taking her in his arms. "I'm free for lunch, want to go grab a sandwich?"

"I've got plenty of stuff here," Blythe said. "I actually went shopping. I have all kinds of food." She opened the refrigerator to show them.

They put together a big salad and sandwiches. After they ate, Jason went back to work.

"That reminds me," Blythe said to Lori. "Why aren't you at work?"

"I took a personal day. Had some things to do."

She sounded so casual, Blythe knew she was hiding something.

"What things to do?" She frowned.

"Oh, this and that—and a doctor's appointment," she muttered.

"Doctor? Are you sick?"

"No. I'm fine. I'm super. I'm fantastic!" She squealed, bouncing on her toes.

"You're pregnant?"

Elam looked between the women. "It must be a girl thing." He walked out, shaking his head.

"Does Jason know?"

"Of course, he does. But you're the first friend I've told. Are you free the Saturday after Thanksgiving?"

"Yes, I don't have any plans. Why?"

"Because we've decided to have a November wedding instead of a June one."

"What? Really?"

"What would my wedding be without my bestie? And Elam?"

"Yeah?" he called from the kitchen.

"Can you get away on Friday to stand up for Jason? He wants you to be best man."

"Why didn't he just ask me himself—just now?" He pointed toward the door.

"I know my brother," Blythe said. "He figured you wouldn't tell Lori no."

"Why would I say no? I'd be honored. As a matter of fact, I have best man experience. Couple of my friends are married. Doesn't leave us much time for a party."

"We'd rather have a dinner party with you two, and a couple other friends, than anything else. Jason's not the strip club type."

Elam chuckled, turning red around the ears. "Lori, hate to tell you this, babe. But all men are the strip club type."

Blythe punched him in the arm. He backed up quickly, dodging a follow up from Lori.

"Okay! No strip club. But a private lap dance?"

Blythe smacked him again.

"No on that, too," he laughed, dashing down the hall when they threatened him with pillows.

"We're getting married on the beach. A guy he knows from work is a notary. He can perform the ceremony."

"Why the rush? I thought you wanted all the trimmings."

"Because June is when this little guy makes an appearance. Thanksgiving weekend is the only window of opportunity we've got. We can both get a couple extra days for a short honeymoon."

"Of course, I'll be there!"

"Actually, my mother is an ordained minister," Elam said, strolling back into the room. "She does a beautiful service. And for no extra cost, you get me and my brothers to sing."

"You sing?" Lori looked and sounded skeptical.

Elam struck a pose, clearing his throat. "Nessun dorma...." he sang in a clear, strong tenor. "We've got all the parts covered."

"Do you think your mother would do that for us?"

"I'm sure she would. She even has a beautiful pavilion set up in her yard, if you'd like to have it there. He can accommodate up to twenty people. If it's bigger than that, there's the clubhouse at the golf course."

"Really? Do you think we could make arrangements? We haven't got that many people coming, just family and a few friends. It's twenty, tops."

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...