Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 44


The boys had more aunts, uncles and grandparents than they could easily count.

"The one thing I don't have, is a daughter. None of my boys have made up their minds about a soul mate, though I do think that Elam's gotten it right. I don't know if Ryan will ever settle down. Dylan and Liam I still have hope for. I've always known Elam would be the first."

They each got another cup of coffee, and gathered on the lanai. The pool lapped gently against the tile rim. A waterfall graced one end. The water cascaded over rocks and a metal sculpture, creating a musical background to their conversation. Blythe found it very relaxing.

"Aquarius, right?" Katrinka asked her.

"How did you know? Did my parents tell you?"

"They might have, but it's more your reaction to the water. It gives me great joy and peace listening to it. As if my troubles washed away with it."

"I feel so at ease here," Blythe said with a happy sigh. "Like nothing can harm me, as long as I'm here. I don't even feel that good at home."

"That's because it was meant to be a place for you and Alec," Elam said softly. "Without him in it, you feel that emptiness. Not even I can fill that spot for you." He hung his head dejectedly.

Blythe leaned forward, placing her hands on his. "Don't you see? You can. But it's not filling his space, it's finding your own. I don't want his place filled. I want a totally new one carved out for you to fill."

Katrinka watched the exchange, quietly sipping her coffee. Something went on here than she'd foreseen. There was far more to this exquisite young woman than even she had anticipated. She watched the magic unfold, their auras glittering in the screen-filtered sun. Energy vibrated around them and she knew it was nearly time to do what needed to be done. She waited.

"You really mean that?" Elam's expression changed from haggard to expectant.

"Of course I do. I didn't know I could feel so much so fast. It took me years to love Alec as much as he loved me. I know that sounds terrible."

"It's like that with soul mates," Elam said, bringing her hand to his lips. "Paul was supposed to work the day you came in, but I knew I needed to trade with him. Chris was assigned to you, but I begged him to change with me."

"And he did that for you? How sweet."

Elam laughed. "Not really. I got stuck with the stupid drunk guy, who pretended to get hit by a car, and the crack head who kept lying on the floor. But I didn't care, because for that short time, I was with you."

Even the presence of his mother wasn't enough to stop him. He had to kiss her, seal the bond already forged between them. It took him some time to realize that his mother wasn't there anymore. He moved to the chaise where Blythe sat, touching her face, holding her as if she would break. Her soft lips met his with a spark, making them both jump, inhaling sharply before laughing. Lips stinging, they kissed. The pressure of one another's mouths eased the pain of the spark.

Blythe's heart leaped when he touched her. She found it hard to breathe until he kissed her. Then all the shattered pieces of her life fell into place. The ache caused by Alec's death, eased a little. She sighed happily, opening her mouth so Elam could deepen their kiss. She didn't care if his mother was around. She sensed Katrinka didn't care, so long as they kept their clothing on.

A soft tinkling of bells attracted her attention. She and Elam parted, looking around to locate the sound. Katrinka sat near the waterfall. She had added a set of chimes to the stones and metal pieces. The water ran over it, creating a bright counterpoint to the already musical flow.

"Come here, children."

They joined her by the pool. Soft mats circled the waterfall. They each took a spot, sitting close together, their crossed legs touching at the knee, hands joined, they waited.

"I'm not entirely sure what happened with Malachi," Katrinka said quietly. "But I know how to bring Alec peace. You have to tell him goodbye," she told Blythe. "His soul has stayed behind, because he was worried about you. He's ready to be released now, but you have to give him permission."

"I don't know if I can," Blythe said, a sob rising in her chest. "Does that mean I'll forget him?"

"Never," Katrinka said. "But the pain of his passing will fade, and you'll be left with your memories. Can you do that—for Alec?"

Blythe nodded. The three of them joined hands. Katrinka spoke rapidly in a language Blythe didn't understand, but had heard before. Her parents sometimes attended a charismatic Catholic church. During the service, the priests and congregation spoke in tongues, supposedly the language of Heaven. She, herself, had never experienced it. Instead, she'd been so frightened by it, she had never gone back. Now, peace settled deeply in her soul as she closed her eyes. A strange vibration started at the base of her spine, rising until it reached her stomach.

It rumbled around as if searching for something. Warm tendrils wrapped around the hard, cold sadness inside her—brought on by Alec's death. Tugging urgently, the tendrils wrapped tighter, pulling in earnest. Taking a deep breath, Blythe exhaled, relaxing as the warmth rose toward her throat. She opened her mouth, feeling it float free. With a short, sharp exhale, she expelled the mass. In her mind's eye, she saw Alec. He stood within the fountain. He reached for the bundle Blythe had expelled. Lifting it, he held it like a child. He leaned forward, his lips brushing her brow.

"I'm on my way, Be-Be. I love you and I'll always be with you." A swirl of gold and silver sparks circled his body, spiraling upward as they took his spirit to the sun.

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...