Thursday, January 12, 2023

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 43


"You must get your skill from her, huh?"

Elam chuckled. "You could say that, I suppose. My dad is a surgeon."

Blythe giggled. "Well, from both parents then. What type of surgery does he do?"

"I don't really know him," he replied. "He left us when I was twelve."

"I'm so sorry."

His shrug was unconvincing. He cared deeply, but had learned to hide it. Blythe stopped him with a hand on his arm.

"He's the one missing out. Because he's got a really great son. Maybe one day he'll realize that. In the meantime, my dad thinks you're wonderful."

Elam smiled, kissing her lightly. "That's the sweetest thing anyone's ever said to me. Thank you."

"I think you're wonderful too," she added.

His kiss was deeper, more passionate. The front door flew open.

"There you are!"

Katrinka was nearly as tall as her son. It was all her, because she was barefoot. She was built like a Viking woman, blond, strikingly pretty, muscular. She wore bright pink leggings and a full top that came to her knees, flowing around her in a purple puddle of cloth. Her hands and arms were covered with rings and bracelets with different metals and stones. Her hair was pulled back with a flowered scarf. It was like a wild, untamed golden cloud around her head and shoulders. Her makeup was minimal, just enough to enhance her beauty.

"Come in, come in! I hope you slept all right. Did Elam help?"

"Yes, ma'am. He did. He pulled me out of a nightmare." Blythe gulped, blinking back tears. "I was in the dream where Alec died, again. It was horrible. But Elam spoke to me, and I heard him."

"Good. I'm glad."

Katrinka led them to the kitchen. A square wooden table, covered in an orange cloth, took up the far end. Heavy wooden chairs surrounded it. Three places were set and a pot of coffee gurgled on the counter. Three mugs sat next to it, spoons and cream at the ready.

"I thought you told us not to eat," Elam said.

"I did. So you could have breakfast with me." Katrinka giggled at her son's consternation. She hugged him to her, kissing the top of his head. "Elam, will you get the casserole out? Blythe, you take your coffee light and sweet?"

"Yes—how did you know?"

"Mom knows things like that about people." Elam took two potholders in the shape of fish, and lifted a dish from the oven.

It smelled wonderful, full of spices and cheese. Blythe stopped talking, inhaling deeply.

"That smells delicious. Do I detect bacon? I thought for sure you'd be a vegetarian."

Katrinka laughed. "I know a lot of my compatriots are, but I couldn't give up my bacon—or sausage."

"Or steak or burgers," Elam supplied. "We tried to break her of such a disgusting habit, but nothing we said did any good. Mom, we'd say. Think of all the poor, helpless animals who are suffering so we can eat this delicious, succulent meat. But it did no good." He set the casserole dish on a trivet on the table.

His mother's musical laughter filled the house. "Believe it or not, he's not the most sarcastic of my offspring."

"How many children do you have?"

"Four boys. Elam is number three."

"Before you ask," Elam said. "My brothers are Dylan, Ryan and Liam."

Katrinka handed her a framed picture from a nearby shelf. She stood in the middle of four big, blond men. Elam and his brothers looked remarkably like one another. She could also see a strong resemblance to their mother. Most striking in their appearance, were the vivid blue eyes.

"What a handsome bunch," Blythe said, handing back the picture.

"Thank you. I think so too, but I'm a tad biased."

They sat at the table and took hands, bowing their heads.

"Bless us, oh Lord, and these they gifts which we're about to receive from thy bounty, through Christ, our Lord, Amen." Katrinka led them in the familiar Catholic blessing.

"I thought you'd use something different," Blythe said as Elam served her plate.

"In some ways, I'm very traditional. I consider myself an expanded Catholic. In other words, I have my traditional beliefs, but I have a different way of approaching my faith."

Blythe nodded. "I understand. I feel kind of the same way. I think there's more to faith than what you get from organized religion. And there's not just one way to look at the world."

Katrinka smiled at her, patting her hand. "You did well, Son. This time, you picked the perfect woman. My boys haven't always had the best of luck in relationships."

Elam cleared his throat pointedly. Katrinka laughed again.

"All right, darling. I won't tell your secrets. I totally would," she confided to Blythe. "But since he's here, I'll pretend to behave."

They kept conversation light and fun during breakfast. Blythe felt comfortable and happy with Katrinka. She could tell where Elam got his loving, outgoing nature. His mother was so open and giving. When he said his mother would adopt the whole world, he wasn't far wrong. She had unofficially adopted the friends of all her boys, their girlfriends—even the ex's kept in touch with her.

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...