Thursday, January 19, 2023

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 45


Blythe's eyes flew open, her hands reaching toward Alec, but he was gone. Strangely, so was the ache of his death. The sorrow, the deep abiding grief, had left her. Instead, she had a soft, warm, loving spot where the knot of coldness had been. Elam sat next to her, his hand touching hers. Blythe turned to him, smiling.

"He's gone," she whispered. "We sent him home."

"He can rest now," Katrinka said with a happy sigh.

"What about Malachi?" Blythe asked.

Katrinka frowned slightly. "I'm not sure. He's trapped too, in a different way. He was supposed to die that day, but he was given another chance. There is someone here who needs him."

"Jessamine," Blythe said. "It has to be Jessamine."

"Perhaps." Katrinka nodded, but she didn't sound convinced. "But Alec has found rest and whatever is to happen between you, can happen, free of doubt and guilt." She smiled, taking their hands in hers.

"I would love to see your parents again, Blythe. We must plan to have Thanksgiving together. Bring your brother and his beloved."

Blythe didn't ask how she knew about Jason and Lori. "Thank you. I'll have Mom call you."

"Please do. I would love for you to stay, but I have appointments soon."

"May I use your bathroom before we go?" Blythe asked, feeling the two cups of coffee pressing her bladder.

"Certainly. The first door on the right when you go down the hall."

Elam lingered. His mother turned her penetrating eyes on him. A small part of him still quelled from that knowing stare. Fortunately, she was smiling.

"I know what's on your mind. Yes, it's all right now. But don't push. When the time is right, all the pieces will fall in place. You'll know."

Throwing back his head, Elam laughed loudly. "God, how well you read me. Is it that obvious?"

"My boys all have a strong drive. I'm surprised we aren't already overwhelmed with your offspring. You must date women who are well prepared with birth control."

He chuckled, hugging his mother. "I guess so. Thank you. Do you think the dreams will stop now?"

"They will, with your help."

"My help? What can I do?"

"Do you remember when you were little, we found you a spirit guide? He helped when you had night terrors."

"Yeah. That was so long ago, I'd almost forgotten."

"When Blythe came to me, he passed from you to her—it was his choice. You didn't need him anymore and she did. But the trauma of Alec's death and her accident, she can't hear him anymore. She needs you now, not some shadowy spirit. Somehow, God in His wisdom, brought you and Blythe together. Perhaps your guide sensed your connection, and that's why he agreed to help her."

Elam nodded, smiling. "Is everyone's life decided before they are born? Is everything already planned out?"

"To a degree, yes. Who will be your soul mate is something only the Universe understands. How you find them is more or less up to you, with the hand of Fate. Some people never find that. We do have free will, the ability to choose or not choose. Sometimes, we get it wrong."

"Would it have been wrong for Blythe to end up with Alec?'

His mother shook her head, shrugging. "Who can say? She might have been very content, but not necessarily happy. It doesn't matter now."

Blythe arrived a moment later. Katrinka kissed them both on the forehead and sent them on their way.

"Your mother is amazing," Blythe said with a sigh.

"She sure is. I never realized, until today, just how special she is. I've seen her in action dozens of times, but never with anything so spectacular."

"Did you see him too?"

Elam touched her cheek, brushing hair from her lips. "I saw him, and he spoke to me. He asked me to watch out for you, and take care of you. I said I would do my best."

Blythe burst into tears. It was so like Alec to think of her. Even if it meant another man was in her life, he would want her taken care of.

"I know you will."

They drove back to her apartment to find Lori waiting. She jumped up, running toward Blythe expectantly.

"Well?"

"Well, what?"

"How did it go?"

"How did what go?"

Lori stamped her foot with exasperation. "Your session with Katrinka."

"How do you even know about that?"

"She called your mom, who called Jason, who called me. Well?"

"I'll fix coffee," Elam said, his blue eyes twinkling.

Blythe kissed him before he moved to the kitchen. She and Lori sat on the couch, holding hands, knees touching. Blythe told her everything that had happened.

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...