Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Fly by Night ~ A Love Under the Sun Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 46

 


"So, he's gone?"

"Yes, but he's so much better off. I know he'll be waiting for me, when I die."

"Not anytime soon!"

"No, I promise." Her phone rang, it was Jessamine.

"I know this sounds totally crazy, but I need to go with you when you see Malachi tomorrow. Is the invitation still open?"

"Yes, of course! Shall we meet up somewhere?"

"I'll drive up, and meet you in the parking lot."

"Okay. I spoke to his mom yesterday. She's expecting us and the doctor, but not you. I won't tell her," she added quickly. "I don't want her upset before we arrive. I think it's very important that you be there."

"I know it is. I can't get him off my mind. It's like he's sitting on my shoulder, talking to me. He's trying to communicate, but I can't hear him."

"Don't get your hopes up, Jessamine. He may not come out of it tomorrow. But he will hear you. Having you back in his life—it could help."

"I hope so. I want him back. I need him so." There were tears in her voice.

"It will work out, somehow. I don't know how, but it will."

"Thanks. I'll see you tomorrow."

"We plan to be there around noon."

"Excellent. I'll see you then." They hung up.

"No progress with coma boy?" Lori asked.

"Not really. But we're hoping a visit tomorrow will help. We're bringing Dr. Waverly to see him."

"Oh, her office called while you were gone."

"Thanks, I'll call her back." But she didn't have to.

Elam walked into the room, phone to his ear. "Yes, she's right here." He handed the phone to Blythe. "Dr. Waverly."

"Thanks." She took the phone. "Hi, Dr. Waverly. What's up?"

"I got your test results. Very strange, but fascinating. You'll be happy to know there is nothing wrong with you physically or chemically. Your test results all come back in the peak of health."

"That's good to know. So, what's causing the dreams?"

There was a pause. "I don't know. However, the MRI and the sleep study showed me that you have some very unusual brain patterns when you're sleeping. We see the REM sleep, but after that, it's like part of your brain is awake, when your body is sleeping. I've never seen anything like it."

"Do you think it's going to stay like that?"

"I don't know, dear. I would like you to see a friend of mine, she specializes in sleep related disorders. Her name is Katherine...."

Blythe burst out laughing. "Oh, Dr. Waverly, that's so wonderful! I was just there today."

"Really? Why?"

"She's Elam's mother!" She related her experience with Alec. "I don't know if I'm cured, but I will keep you posted."

"Excellent. Let me talk to Elam again, please?"

"Yes, sure." She handed the phone back. "She'd like to speak to you."

He gave her a little kiss before speaking. "Yes, Boss?"

"You aren't being a bad boy, are you?"

"No, ma'am. Not yet, anyway. Please don't tell me I can't, because she's your patient."

"I suppose it might be considered problematic with some, but I haven't any issue with it. Technically speaking, she's my patient, not yours. Do be discrete around the hospital, that's all I ask."

"Absolutely. What else did you need?"

"Just making sure everything is set up."

"All squared. Blythe spoke to Mr. and Mrs. Garafolo yesterday. One thing, though."

"What?" There was suspicion in her voice.

"We know Malachi's fiancée. She wants to come with us."

"Why isn't she already there?"

"Family problems. Funny thing, she's the girl who helped Blythe after her accident."

"How truly amazing. The coincidences are astounding. It fascinates me how everything is interrelated."

"Me too. What are the chances?"

"Pretty slim, I imagine. It's when coincidences stack up like this, you know it's a force, outside ourselves, that's at work."

"I agree, Doc. We'll pick you up at nine tomorrow."

"Enjoy your day. Behave."

"Oh, right. That'll happen." Laughing, he hung up.

Knocking on the door got Elam's attention. He opened it to find Jason there.

"I wanted to make sure the coast was clear." He shrugged, looking somewhat sheepish.

"Yeah, it's cool. Lori's here. They're in the living room."

"So, how did the visit with your mom go?"

"Great! I'll let Blythe give you the news."

©2022 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...