Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 16


"Sometimes I like to stop and watch the sun rise and set. I can't do that in the city. If I'm up at sunrise, it means either I've got an incredibly early appointment, or I've been up all night working. I don't have the time to enjoy it."

"I know what you mean," Mara told him. "I can't remember the last time I watched the sunrise with joy, instead of groaning. I didn't realize, until I came here, how much I was trapped in my life. I feel free for the first time!"

Cole kissed her again, pulling her close. "Come in and get something warm to drink, you're shivering."

They walked inside and he made her a cup of coffee. They sat at the small, rough hewn table, talking about their lives in the city. Before, it seemed such a forbidden subject, but it was all right to talk about it now. Mara realized she'd been guarding that part of herself, not opening up to Cole for whatever silly reason. Now she wanted him to know about her career.

Cole seemed to feel the same, for he told her all about his various jobs in the consultant firm he and Red owned. "Red and I are each jacks of all trades. We have many interests and know a lot of obscure stuff, that other people pay well to hear us talk about." He chuckled softly. "It's amazing how well they pay. It's a perfect job for me, because I enjoy listening to myself talk."

They laughed happily, holding hands across the table top.

"Well, if you ever need architectural advice, let me know. I specialize in restoring historic buildings."

"Interesting! How did you get involved in that?"

"By accident. I was a junior, junior member of another firm and we had a building that needed major renovations. It had been slated for destruction, but the historical society raised a hew and cry. Apparently someone of major importance did something of minor importance there once ages ago. To them it mattered, they got it declared historical and we had to comply. You wouldn't believe the red tape involved in a project like that. I got good at sweet talking the lawyers, historians and contractors. As a result of that project, I became the in house expert and moved up a little. My present firm heard about me and made an offer I couldn't refuse."

"Which was?"

"Partner in three years, doubled my salary, two weeks paid vacation and first chance to invest in any piece of property I worked on. I've just finished my second year with them."

"Wow! They must really have wanted you badly!"

Mara blushed slightly, not wanting to appear conceited. "I'm very good at what I do," she said modestly.

"I never doubted that for a moment. We need to get started," he told her suddenly. "We're playing host to part of the video crew today."

"We are?"

"Yup! The cinematographer and the locations guy. I scouted a few spots. Now they need to make the final choices."

"Can't they just pick one spot?"

"Apparently, since they have the band and the crew here, they're going to film more than one video. I don't argue, I just do what they pay me for."

"Do we have time to stop by my hotel and get me a change of clothing? I hate to keep borrowing your sister's things." She ran her tongue around her teeth. "And I seriously need my toothbrush."

Cole laughed heartily. "Of course! In fact, just pack an overnight case. I want you to see my place tonight."

"I'd like that, Cole. Very much."

He kissed her tenderly, wishing they had time for one another, but he couldn't afford to be late. He was on someone else's schedule, answerable to their time.

"That's a reminder of where we left off last night, and where I wish to continue as soon as possible," he told her.

"I won't forget," she promised.

They left the guest house and headed to his Jeep. "Should we say goodbye to your dad?"

"He won't be up yet. He's never been much of a morning person. If he's up by noon, I'll be shocked." He grinned. "I, on the other hand, love mornings! I especially love to start them by watching the sunrise with a beautiful woman."

"Done that often, have you?" She was teasing, but wondered if she'd struck a nerve.

"I used to all the time," he said quietly. Mara thought she saw the hint of a tear in his eyes. "When my mom was alive, we started each day watching the sun come up."

"How long ago did she die?"

"Right after I graduated from high school. She was killed in an accident. A drunk driver hit her when she was out walking."

"How awful! I'm so sorry, Cole." She placed her hand on his knee. "I lost my dad when I was in college. He died of cancer when I was nineteen."

"I know, your mom told me. She's a fantastic lady, Mara. Enjoy the hell out of the time you have with her. She's the most amazing lady ever! Just as terrific as my mom."

"Yeah, she's very special. Your dad is cool, too. Thank you for introducing us, it meant a lot to me."

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...