Thursday, April 22, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 17


They drove in silence for a few minutes, pulling up to her hotel just as Frank was coming on duty. He walked briskly to the car, opening the door for her with a look of deep concern.

"What's wrong, Frank?" Cole asked him.

"Miss Cross, we've been trying to find you. When you didn't come back last night, we called the police. They have been looking for you everywhere."

"Why, Frank? I'm fine. I've been with Cole and his family."

"I tried to reach Mr. Bayard at home and at his office," he said crisply. "And your cell phone wasn't available.

"We were at my dad's, Frank. He doesn't have a phone. I left my phone in the car."

"Come inside, please, Miss Cross. The manager needs to talk to you."

"Is it about my bill? What's up?"

"Just please, Miss. I'm not supposed to say. I was told only to bring you to him when you arrived."

Puzzled and upset, Mara and Cole followed him to the manager's office. He gestured to two large, leather wing chairs.

"Please sit. The manager will be here shortly."

They sat obediently in silence. Mara was angry and frustrated. Cole looked worried. They both stood when the manager, Mr. Pickering, entered. His face held concern as he asked them to sit.

"Miss Cross, we have been very worried." His voice was full of the Island flavor and his dark face fell into deep lines. "I have contacted the police, they are no longer searching for you. You understand our concern, a single woman on vacation, suddenly disappears. It was most disturbing. However, that is not the reason we were looking for you initially. There's been news from your home."

Cole took Mara's hand, squeezing her fingers gently.

"What? What's wrong?"

"You mother has fallen quite ill," Pickering told her. "Your neighbor suspected something was wrong when the mail had not been picked up. Nor had she seen your mother going out, as she usually does, when she visits your home. She called your sister and brothers, one of them brought over a key. Your mother had collapsed." He held up his hand asking for her to let him finish. "She is in the hospital and your family asks you to come home."

"Is it serious? Is she dying?"

"This I do not know, Miss. Your things have been packed and are in our storage. A flight has been selected for you by your family. It leaves in a few hours." He handed her the flight information. "Truly, I am sorry to hear of her illness. Your mother is a fine lady and I enjoy her visits. I've taken the liberty of sending a plant to her from the hotel staff."

Mara's eyes were full of tears and she was shaking uncontrollably. "Cole, what am I going to do? I have to get home! Oh, God!"

Cole put his arms around her, holding her closely. Mr. Pickering left them alone and went to get her luggage.

"I can't lose her, Cole. I can't!"

"Shh, I know, love. I know. I'll drive you to the airport. It's going to be okay."

"But why would Cissy and my brothers insist I come home? If she's going to be all right, why would they do that? Does that mean she's dying? Oh, Cole!"

Her bags were packed into the Jeep. Red was waiting at the desk, credit card in hand.

"The hotel called me when they couldn't reach you. I got over here as soon as I could. I took care of the bill, Mara. I'm driving to the airport, that way Cole doesn't have to divide his attention."

"Thanks, bro," Cole told him.

Mara couldn't speak, she just hugged Red and kissed his cheek. That was thanks enough for him and he refused to let her pay him back. They climbed into the Jeep and Red pulled into traffic.

The drive to the airport was sullen and quiet. Mara didn't feel like talking, and the men hardly knew what to say. There were no words of hope they could offer, and very little comfort that wasn't best said with strong arms. Cole kept his around her the entire way, holding her gently as she wept on his shoulder. The men got her checked in and walked her up to the security gate. Red had her carry on bag ready for the conveyor, but Cole pulled them both out of line.

"I don't want to say goodbye," he told her softly. "Call me as soon as you can, okay?" He handed her a business card. "That has all my numbers on it. Call me anytime, no matter the time. Let us know how your mom is—how you are. I'll miss you."

"I don't want to go.... If it was for anyone else but my mom, I wouldn't leave you."

"I know."

Mara clung to him, tears falling hotly down her cheeks. His shirt was getting soaked, but he didn't mind. He pulled gently away from her.

"You're going to miss your flight, babe."

Snuffling, she wiped her nose on her sleeve and walked toward the metal detectors. "I love you," she whispered and blew him a kiss.

"I love you," he said quietly. "Take care, Mara."

It took every ounce of self control Cole possessed, not to run out of the airport like an emotional child. He watched until Mara made it through the next check point. She turned and waved. He waved back, blowing a kiss, then he and Red went back to the Jeep. Red slid once more behind the wheel and took off at top speed.

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books https://www.amazon.com/Dellani-Oakes/e/B007ZQCW3A/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...