Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 22


"Oh, how is she?"

"Doing very well. She made me the most beautiful dress! I'll show it to you soon. It's a magnificent shade of pink!" She went on to describe the dress in great detail.

Rosaline's eyes lit up as her daughter told her about the dress. "It sounds absolutely lovely! I can't wait to see it!"

"Well," Dr. Chambers cleared his throat pointedly. "I think that's about enough excitement for one evening. Rosie needs her rest, kids."

Each of the siblings kissed their mother and walked into the hall to talk further with the doctor. Rosaline held Mara's hand as she was leaving.

"Mara will join you in a moment," she told them pointedly. "Now sit, and tell me about Cole."

"He's so wonderful, Mom! I could fall hard for a man like him."

"So, did you sleep with him?"

"Mom! I can't believe you asked me that!" she whispered.

"Well, did you?"

Mara blushed deeply, hardly able to speak. She nodded, turning her face away shyly.

"I thought so. You don't seem quite so tense."

"You're not upset with me?"

"For enjoying yourself? No, you're a grown woman. What you do, when you're with a man, isn't my business. But I know what sweet boy Cole is. I've thought for a long time of getting you two together, but wasn't sure how to go about it."

"Red used a volleyball."

"Did he? Well, that was creative! Did he do it on purpose, or was it an accident?"

"Jury's still out on that one."

"When I'm back on my feet, you go back down there and snatch that boy up! Is that clear, young lady?"

"Yes, ma'am, you can count on it." She kissed her mother softly on the forehead. "You rest now. I'll be back to see you as soon as I can."

"Give him a call, Mara. You've seen me now, and I'm going to be all right. You call that young man so he won't worry. And give my love to Denny."

"Mom," Mara hesitated, not knowing how to proceed. "Is there anything.... I mean with you and Denny?"

"Mara, Dennis and I are dear friends, and have been for years. Anything that might happen between two adults is their own business, don't you think?"

"Yes, ma'am. I'll see you tomorrow."

Mara joined her family in the hall. Dr. Chambers was giving them the final run down on the procedure for the next day. He was just finishing up when Mara walked out.

"She had a few things to ask about my vacation," she told them. "It was short but full."

Olivia smirked knowingly. The others looked puzzled but didn't say anything. They all shook hands with the doctor and left the hospital, chatting quietly.

"Let's all go to dinner," Toby suggested. "My treat!"

"Pregnant lady gets to pick," Olivia said as she moved toward the restroom. "As soon as I pee again, I want Chinese food."

"Right behind you," Cissy told her. "Mara, you coming?"

"Be right there, sis."

When they got in the ladies' room with the door closed, Cissy rounded on Mara with a huge grin on her face.

"So who is Cole? Is he wonderful? Is he gorgeous? How did you meet him? Is he sexy?"

Laughing, Mara walked into the stall and closed the door in Cissy's face. Cissy pounded on the outside with her fist.

"So tell me, already! How did you meet?"

"His friend hit me with a volleyball. He came over to apologize. He's gorgeous, he's sexy, he's smart, and wonderful. Before you ask, he's fantastic in bed. Did I cover all the bases?"

"Yes! My baby sister's got a boyfriend!"

"You make it sound like such an accomplishment."

"For you, Mara, it's like a miracle. You sit in that office all day, drawing pictures, and don't take any time for you. Hot damn!"

Cissy was what Mara referred to as a mercenary dater. If she needed her teeth worked on, she dated a dentist. Legal advice? Date a lawyer. Need a new car? Date a man who owns a dealership. She had a long list of ex-boyfriends, all of whom had given her fabulous gifts, not the least of which was the boob job she'd had done a few years ago.

The three women walked out of the restroom with broad, conspiratorial smiles on their faces. Toby took one look at them and blanched.

"I don't like that look," he said. "It makes me glad I'm married to one of you and related to the other two."

"Why's that?" Olivia strutted up to him, arms crossed in front of her ample chest and belly.

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...