Thursday, April 22, 2021

Fragrance Lingers ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 24


"Yeah?"

"Talk to me. I want to hear your voice."

"What do you want me to say?"

"Anything... Tell me about the sunset."

Cole described the sunset in such vivid detail, she could see it. Then he proceeded to describe to her exactly how he was going to make love to her when she returned.

"Dammit," he cursed softly.

"What?"

"I've gotten myself all hot and horny," he admittedly sullenly. "And you aren't here to help me out."

"I'll be back as soon as I can," she told him. "I promise. Just as soon as I can get away."

"Hurry home, Mara. I love you."

"I love you too, Cole," she replied almost automatically, but realized with a flutter that it was true.

They hung up reluctantly, neither of them wanting to break the link. The call was going to cost a fortune, but Mara didn't care. Every penny was worth it, as long as she could hear his voice.

There was a gentle tap on her door. Toby stuck his head around the edge of the door. "You okay?"

She nodded, placing the cordless phone back on the cradle.

"I'm sorry about the music earlier. That's just what song came up, it's randomized."

"No problem, bro, not like you knew." She held out her arms to him.

Toby came into the room and gave her a big hug, sitting by her on the bed. "Feeling any better?"

"No, but it was good to hear his voice."

"You remember a few years ago when Olivia dumped me?"

She nodded. How could she forget? It was a foolish spat that nearly ended in a split in the family. Half of them sided with Toby, the other half with Olivia. Mara had been stuck in the middle, hopelessly torn between her best friend and her favorite brother.

"I felt terrible the entire time. I wanted to see her so much, and it felt like we were a world apart. She was a ten minute drive away. I can't imagine what it's like to be separated by so much distance."

"It sucks," she told him, pounding her pillows.

"But think how much fun you'll have when you get back together!"

He tickled her ribs like he did when they were kids. He had her giggling and begging for mercy.

"Stop! Stop! You'll make me wake Olivia!"

"Too late!" she heard from down the hall. The door opened and Olivia looked around it much like Toby had. "We having a party in here I don't know about?"

"I invited Toby to my pity party, but he didn't like the company, so he tickled me. It's his fault." She pointed at her brother, who tried to look sheepish.

"It's always his fault, but that's one reason I love him so much. You know, I always used to say I thought he was a goof? Well, now I know he is, but damn if that isn't one of the things I love the most about him."

Toby put his hand on his wife's abdomen, grinning widely as the baby kicked him. "She's gonna have a goof for a daddy, a boss for a mommy and a tickle puss for an auntie."

"I'd rather be a tickle puss than a goof any day."

"I dunno," Toby looked maliciously at her. "The tickle puss is at the mercy of the goof!" He laughed loudly like a villain in a melodrama.

"Enough, Tobias! I'm sleepy and your daughter is finally giving me a few moments of peace, so I'm going back to bed. I suggest you follow me." She raised her eyebrows pointedly.

"I know my place." He hung his head sheepishly.

"I know your place, too, and you'd best put it to good use!"

Mara burst out laughing, watching Toby wander out the door after his wife like a puppy. Even with Mom sick and Cole miles away, it was good to be with her family. She hadn't been spending enough time with them lately. Every time the pace of her life slowed down, she'd filled it with more work so she wouldn't realize how empty it was. Now that she saw, she wanted to fill it with the important things; family, friends, and love.

Turning out the light, she lay down and curled up on her side. Closing her eyes, she pictured the sunrise with Cole by her side. Had it been only that morning? It didn't seem possible. With a contented smile on her lips, she fell asleep.

Cole couldn't sleep after talking to Mara. He had succeeded in making himself sexually frustrated, and had no solution. He tried a cold shower, but that just made him cold. He'd never been in a position where he wanted a particular woman and couldn't have her. He'd always been able to find a willing partner and probably still could, but he didn't want anyone but Mara. Being unfaithful to her wasn't an acceptable option. Impulsively, he grabbed the phone and called an airline. He made arrangements to leave the following day. The direct action felt good. At least he was doing something.

Mara called her boss, Jack Simpson, at home the following morning. He didn't know she'd returned, and was surprised to hear from her. After she explained her situation, he got very quiet.

"Gosh, Mara, I don't know if I can rearrange our schedule around sick leave and vacation. I mean, we have projects pending your final approval."

"Jack, don't jerk me around. You have six other people who could sign off on that paperwork. Besides, you weren't expecting me back for another ten days. How could they be so urgent?"

©2021 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...