Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Visit with Beverly Stowe McClure

When did you start writing?

Around 1990

What gave you the idea for your first book?

A visit to Charleston, SC, where we took a twilight tour of the historic district and heard wonderful stories of the ghosts that lived in many of the old mansions.

What genre do you write?

Mostly contemporary for young adults and tweens, along with historical fiction.

What do you do to keep yourself focused?

I’m a planner. I make lists each week, aiming for 500 words a day and put most everything else aside until I accomplish my goal. Usually.

Do you stay with one project or do you work on multiple projects?

I work on multiple projects. Currently I have two stories in different stages of progress and two more waiting in a corner of my mind.

What is your writing process?

I usually start with a character, sometimes an idea, have a vague notion of how the story will end and just start writing. I might write a rough outline later on as thoughts occur to me of what I want to happen in the story. So I won’t forget them. But I don’t really outline the whole book.

What is the theme of your novel?

My latest, a historical fiction novel about the Civil War, is about love and forgiveness.

Do you consciously use symbolism in your book?

No, if it’s there it’s strictly by accident.

What is your latest release?

Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines, young adult historical.

What other books do you have published?

Just Breeze, middle grade/tween contemporary; Rebel in Blue Jeans, young adult contemporary; Listen to the Ghost, young adult paranormal; and Secrets I Have Kept, young adult mystery.

Where are your books available?

From the publishers: Twilight Times Books and 4 RV Publishing and Wings ePress. Also at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and the ebooks at Fictionwise and other places. Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines can also be purchased at some of the military parks museums and bookstores.

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...