Tuesday, July 11, 2017

I Love Dialogue from Love, Death and Pizza by Dellani Oakes

Brock Parnell has a serious problem. Tack Carmichael, the man he's hated for the last 30 years, has been killed. Unfortunately, he's become the prime suspect in the murder. He's being harassed by the law and the press. Luckily, he has a few good friends, including his ex-wife, Bonnie. And the assistant district attorney, Adrianna Hasselhoff.

My home phone started to ring. I looked at the caller ID, but didn't recognize the number. It was an out of state call, the area code wasn't one I recognized. It continued to ring a few more times, then the voice mail picked up.
"Brock, it's Bonnie. Pick up, dammit. I know you're home."
Instead, I copied the number down and called back on the cell phone that Sam had given me.
"Bonnie, it's Brock. What do you want?"
"I heard on the news about Tack. What happened? I know you didn't kill him!"
"Honestly, Bonnie, we're trying to piece that together. And thanks."
"For what?"
"Believing me."
"Brock, you're many things, but a killer? Good God, no."
"Bon, Tom is here with me. Can I put you on speaker?"
"Sure. What's up?"
I clicked the phone to speaker, making a note to Adrianna not to speak. Bonnie and I are divorced, but she's always been a tad jealous and defensive. Knowing another woman was there might change how she spoke to me.
"Bonnie, did Amy ever say anything to you about Tack being impotent?"
"God, what didn't she say? She was always going off about how he couldn't get it up, not even with all the drugs in the world. He had some kind of emotional problem and was seeing a shrink in Cheyenne for it. He went out of state because he didn't want anyone to know. Of course, that meant that Amy talked that much louder about it. He hadn't touched her in years."
"Have you talked to her since you left?"
"Some, why?"
"Did she tell you anything? About who she was seeing?" I tried to hedge, but I knew Bonnie would catch on. You don't live with someone twenty years and not know what he's thinking.
"Brock Daniel Parnell, did you tap that sleazy piece of white trailer trash?"
"Um...."
"That's a yes. Oh, good God! I can't believe you humped that puffed up slab of silicone! She's dirtier than a three dollar whore! When did you do her?"
"Shortly after you left. I wasn't in a good place then."
"Drunk and horny, right?" She giggled. "Oh, honey, I told you that big bad boy would get you in trouble."
"All the time." I had to laugh. "They think I killed Tack to get Amy."
Her laughter nearly broke my eardrums. She screeched quite loudly and enthusiastically. "You're not serious?"
"As a heart attack."
"You have too much taste for that. Now for that pretty lady lawyer you've got working for you, I could see you committing all kinds of indecencies. But for Amy? Good God."
"Wait a second. When did you see Adrianna?"
"On the news. They were showing her going in the courthouse with Tommy. So she quit the prosecutor's office?"
"She couldn't continue to form a case against me. She believes me."
"That's so sweet!" The funny thing here is that Bonnie actually meant it.
© 2017 Dellani Oakes



No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...