Thursday, October 12, 2017

Vile Villains Number Two from Full Measure by Dellani

Full Measure is one of those stories which has more than one villain. Each of them is nasty, though some more than others, and each is strongly motivated to get exactly what they want. This particular villain is a drug representative named Beatrice, who has an ax to grind with several people, mostly Daphne. She manages to drug the people in the office and kidnaps Daphne.

Suddenly through all the garbled chatter, he heard Daphne's voice.
"Shut up!" he bellowed. "I hear her. Trace that!"
"What do you want, Beatrice? I don't know anything."
"Don't act all innocent. I know who you are. You locked me out, you bitch!"
"Locked you out of what? I don't understand."
Daphne grunted and Ralan knew she'd been hit.
The silver car ahead of them swerved around a slow car, speeding down the street. Ralan held his breath until Beatrice got it under control again.
"Why are you stealing from the doctors?"
"I'm not, you stupid bitch!"
There was no more talk for some time. Daphne couldn't or wouldn't speak. Beatrice seemed to be concentrating on her driving rather than talking to her prisoner.
"Do you have a trace on the piece?"
"Yes," Givens assured Ralan.
"Good. Drop back a little, give her some space."
"What?" Ann yelled.
"If we back off, she'll slow down," Ralan said. "Annie, please! She's got Daphne...."
The desperation in his voice convinced her. Beatrice wasn't a professional driver. The speed she was going, she could easily lose control and kill them both. Ann slowed, pulling back. Keeping the Taurus in view, she continued to follow.
"Daphne, if you can hear me, baby, we're coming. You're gonna be okay. See if you can keep her talking." Not caring that others were listening, he added, "I love you."
"Why are you stealing the money?" Daphne asked, her voice sounding more brave than she felt.
"It's my fucking money," Beatrice snapped. "And you're going to show me how to get it back. You've got the only codes."
"What makes you think that?"
"Because I can't get in. No one can."
"You're an idiot," Daphne said. "Obviously someone can. The deposits went in as scheduled."
"That's different. That's automated. I'm not a complete fool."
"I dunno," Daphne said with a wry chuckle. "You look pretty stupid from where I'm sitting."
Another smack and the car swerved again. Ralan gripped the dashboard, cursing.
"Don't provoke her so much, baby. She'll get you both killed."
"Where's the money coming from?"
"You're really dumb, aren't you? You haven't figured that out yet?"
"Enlighten me. I just figured out about the deposits. I saw the withdrawals right away. You've been sloppy."
"That wasn't me. That was that bitch, Amy. Stupid cow! She found out about the money and has been taking it out as fast as she can get it. The only good thing about you closing it out was that you kept her out. She was taking my money!"
"Why's it your money?"
"Why should I explain this to you? All I need is for you to let me back in."
"And if I don't? You're probably going to kill me anyway. Why should I cooperate?"
Beatrice said nothing.
"My family's not around here. I don't have any friends. You have no threat over me except my own life and I'm not afraid to die. So I don't give a damn if you get your fucking money. But if you have a good reason for wanting it, maybe I'll cooperate."
"Good girl," Ralan encouraged. "We're coming, darlin'."
© 2017 Dellani Oakes


No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...