Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The Best Medicine by Dellani Oakes – Part 20


Tanya has a slightly embarrassing conversation with the head nurse, Grace.
"Beneficial is one word for it," she grinned up at her friend. "I don't want to say much, because I was taught that was bad form."
"Give me a sliding scale then."
"A what?"
"You know, from one to ten. One being Ho Hum, to ten which is somewhere along the lines of Oh—God!" She gave special emphasis to each word, gasping between.
Tanya giggled, leaning closer to Melinda. "How about Oh, yes, yes, oh God! Oh, my God, yes, yes!?"
Melinda's eyes grew wider and rounder. "You kidding me?"
"Honest, I swear! That's all I'm going to say on the matter."
"Wow! I wish I'd known that. He seems like such a quiet guy."
"It's the quiet ones that really go," Morgan had popped up behind them.
Tanya wanted to melt into the floor. Melinda found several charts that suddenly needed to be filed. Tanya couldn't look Morgan in the eye, she was so embarrassed to have been caught discussing him.
"I'm so sorry," she muttered. "What you must think of me!" Her cheeks burned.
Morgan took her elbow gently and steered her into an empty waiting room. He pulled her around behind the door and took her in his arms, kissing her.
"What I think is, I was successful in getting you to relax and unwind. And I think that I'm very glad I put a smile on your face. I don't think I've ever rated higher than Gee, That Was Terrific, on the sliding scale though."
"Oh, God, you didn't hear that!"
He tapped his ear with one finger. "Exceptional hearing, remember? I've always had a penchant for listening at doorways and eavesdropping. Nasty habit, but it's amazing the tidbits you pick up."
They kissed for a few more minutes until her phone rang. It was Grace calling her. She answered her phone.
"Yes, Grace?"
"Your break ended two minutes ago, Tanya. Hop back down here, and let Morgan get back to work. Dinner's in an hour for you both."
It was impossible to ignore the summons. "Yes, Ma'am," she said politely and hung up. "I always feel like I'm talking to my Gran, when I talk to Grace," she said with a chuckle. "If we didn't say yes, ma'am, we'd get a rap on the knuckles."
"I'll see you at dinner," he said, brushing her hair out of her face. "You've got a smear," he told her, pointing to her lips.
"Oh, good grief!"
She grabbed a tissue and started rubbing around her lips, hoping to get it off. Morgan took the tissue, held it for her to lick, and then applied the damp tissue to the smears on her face.
"You're a mess," she pointed out when he'd finished, and applied the tissue to his face as well. "Now I have to go, or Grace is going to fuss at me." A quick kiss and she was gone.
Morgan watched her walk down the hall to the elevator, waving to her as the doors closed. She smiled and waved back. Sighing deeply, he took up one of his charts and wrote his post operative orders, then went to the doctor's lounge to put his feet up. He was happier than he could remember being in years. Tanya had been as good for him, as he had been for her.
It wasn't just the sex, although that was the best he'd ever had. It was her whole attitude. She was so optimistic and excited about every new experience. She hadn't even minded his quirky family, and all their oddities. She'd walked into the restaurant that first night, as if she owned it. They accepted her just as quickly as she had them.
Vanessa had never tried to fit in. She was always calling his family weird and made disparaging remarks about how close he was to Cullen. Vanessa hadn't respected him or anything he was and he was glad she was gone. Grinning widely, he poured himself some coffee. He was stirring it absently when Davida walked in.
He was so startled to see her, he nearly spilled. Standing awkwardly, he smiled and gestured for her to sit. She planted her feet wide, arms crossed over her ample chest. Her head was tilted at a challenging angle, her expression stony. She was taller than he was, in her heels, and he felt slightly intimidated by the majestic, dark skinned woman. The fact she was wearing multiple hoop earrings and startling turquoise eye shadow somehow added to her daunting effect.
"Hello, Dr. Davidson. What brings you up here?"
"I think you know very well what I'm here about. I called Tanya fifteen times this weekend and didn't get an answer. Then I talked to Grace last night, she said you'd called in and told her you were treating Tanya for stress. Does that mean what I think it means?" She tapped her foot impatiently, glaring down at him.
Feeling small and insignificant, Morgan set his coffee down. He wasn't going to let this woman intimidate him any longer. She had caught him by surprise, but he wasn't a man to back down from anyone.
"If you mean, did we spend the weekend together, yes. Any specifics, you'll have to ask her about."
Davida's eyes glittered happily and she grabbed Morgan tightly by the elbows. "For real? Oh, that's fantastic! You sweet, dear man, I could kiss you!" She planted a big kiss on each cheek.
© 2020 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...