Tuesday, May 26, 2020

The Best Medicine by Dellani Oakes – Part 40


"Not for us," Morgan said. "Sarducci's—piece of cake. And Caden can get a table at Moskva any time he wants."
"Or there's the curry place on Third," Caden said.
"Not in a curry mood. Um, Szechuan on Seventeenth?"
"Tanya, preference?" Morgan thought to ask.
"None. I couldn't get a table for a year, at any of those places."
"Call Erica."
Caden dutifully did as Morgan suggested.
"Mongolian grill," she stated. "I made reservations for six o'clock, so get it in gear."
"Why so early?" Caden asked her.
"There's a concert in the park. We're going."
"Really? Why? I hate those things."
"You won't hate this one. Trust me. Hurry up!"
Tanya changed into brown, brushed denim jeans, her boots and a warm sweater. On Morgan's advice, she brought her jacket, scarf and gloves along. He dug around and found jeans and a sweater. Caden changed when they got back to his townhouse. Morgan and Tanya waited in the car. A few minutes later, Caden came out of the building with a beautiful blonde.
Smiling, she hopped in the front seat. "Hi, I'm Erica. You must be Tanya."
They shook hands.
"The men have been closed mouthed," Erica continued as Caden started the car. "Haven't told me a thing about you."
"Same applies," Tanya replied. "I'm a doctor at the same hospital as Morgan and Hal."
Erica grinned. "Caden teases that I specialize in spa days and having my hair done. I'm a professional shopper, and style consultant for several Hollywood stars."
"No kidding? Can you say who?"
Erica dropped the names of several big stars.
"They always dress so beautifully. Do you do that?"
"Yup!"
"They don't hit the red carpet without consulting my baby," Caden said, kissing Erica's hand.
"You do an impressive job. I have enough trouble getting dressed in the morning. Do you find yourself analyzing people you meet?"
"I do. I look at some women and think, Oh, honey. No. You look great, by the way. Brown is a good color on you. I'd look like whipped topping on a mud puddle. Brown is so not my color."
"Did you ever meet Vanessa?" Tanya asked, wishing she hadn't when the men got very quiet.
"Once," Erica replied. "It wasn't pretty. Talk about needing an entire Style Mulligan. That girl—wow! There have been clothes and hairstyles created since 1985."
Erica continued to trash talk Vanessa for a couple more minutes, but soon tired of it. Instead, she complimented Tanya on her taste, and offered to take her shopping for winter clothing.
"The weather closes in quickly. I doubt that your clothing will be warm enough. Have you ever spent a winter here?"
"No. I usually came in the spring or summer."
"You'll decidedly need some things. We'll go shopping."
"I don't know if my budget can handle high end buying," Tanya admitted. "I'm still paying school loans."
"Shopping?" Morgan perked up. "You don't have to worry. Any wife of mine will have the budget of a queen."
"We're not married yet," Tanya pointed out.
"Details." Morgan waved the protest away. "Erica, take her shopping, and charge it to me. The stores have my account information."
"Morgan, are you sure?" Tanya mentally calculated the outfit Erica was wearing. It was nearly a thousand dollars worth of clothing, not including jewelry, purse or shoes.
He leaned over, kissing her. "I'm positive. Erica's right, you need warmer clothing, and she has the in at all the shops. She can get you sweet discounts, as well as find you clothing you like."
"I paid about half of the retail cost for this outfit," she bragged. "The stores know me, and I swing a lot of business their way. To have a future Mrs. Fellowes shopping with them—they'd be so flattered, they couldn't see straight. They'd practically throw clothing at you."
"Wow, be nice if they'd done that when I was poor, and needed a new pair of shoes, and a suit for my interview here." Tanya shook her head, finding it hard to believe that stores would shower a rich person with gifts, while gouging a poor one for every cent. "I have a lot to learn about being rich," she sighed.
"I'll teach you," Erica said, winking. "The guys don't know how to spend money, but I do."
They had a pleasant dinner and headed to the park. Erica had packed lawn chairs in the trunk of Caden's car the day before, without telling him. They each took a chair and headed into the park. It was starting to fill up, but there was a space marked Reserved. Erica walked right to it.
"Being the fiancee of a high powered lawyer has its perks," Tanya said.
"Somewhat, but more the fact that his family, and Morgan's, donated the land and funds to build this complex. I can pull a few strings. My step-dad sits on the board, my mother organizes everything and the guys have prestigious last names."
© 2020 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...