Tuesday, June 02, 2020

The Best Medicine by Dellani Oakes – Part 42

"You and me, girlfriend. We're gonna rock this joint."

She nodded to the band and they took their beat from Morgan. The other drummer followed his lead. Even though Tanya had heard the song dozens of times over the last few months, she choked with the vocal started. Carol took her hand, nodding to her to sing. Tanya was afraid to open her mouth, but a glance at Morgan gave her courage. She started singing.

Carol smiled, harmonizing with her as they got to the first chorus. By the second verse, Tanya was really into the song. She and Carol belted it out together, and she found herself hitting the high notes with ease. It sounded pretty good.

Between the second verse and the chorus, the guitarist stepped forward, motioning to Caden to join her. They improvised a solo that went on several minutes. Caden played far better than he'd admitted. Next, Erica jammed on the keyboard and, finally, the drummer and Morgan took turns with a short solo.

Carol tugged Tanya beside her, ready for the finish. The instruments grew quieter until they could barely be heard under the vocals. Carol and Tanya stood close together, heads nearly touching, as they sang the last verse. As the final notes faded away, the applause began. The crowd jumped to its feet, clapping, stomping and cheering. They wanted another encore, but Carol waved, blew kisses and left the stage. She invited her new friends to follow her. The band brought up the rear.

The applause continued, but Carol didn't go back out. Instead, the MC went out. "Ladies and gentlemen, Madonna of Blues has left the building!"

The clapping gradually ceased and people gathered up their things. A stagehand brought their chairs to them, from the spot they'd left them on the lawn. Morgan and Caden each tipped the guy a twenty, thanking him.

"You look really familiar," Morgan said to Carol, when they were settled in the reception room.

"I should. You fixed me up after my car crash a couple years ago. You and your buddy, Hal, who looks just like you," she pointed to Caden.

"My twin brother, Hal. I remember that accident. Drunk driver hit you?"

"No, I'm afraid I was the drunk driver," she admitted sadly. "Damn near killed myself. But two years alcohol free now. And I had a baby girl a few months ago. This is our first concert since she was born."

"What did you name her?" Morgan asked.

Carol grinned, "Morganna Helene."

"I'm flattered. I never had a baby named after me before. Pretty sure Hal hasn't either."

"If it hadn't been for you two, I wouldn't have lived long enough to have her. She's my life."

"Congratulations," Tanya and Erica said.

The four of them stayed a little while, chatting with the band. It wasn't a wild party, more like a coffee clutch or a book group. Thanking them for having them on stage, they finally took their leave.

"See, didn't I tell you that you'd enjoy that?" Erica asked Caden.

"You did. And you were right. That was more fun than we've had in ages. Thank you." He kissed her playfully. "Now, I want to take your rock star ass to bed."

Erica giggled, pushing him away as he flicked his tongue at her.

Caden dropped Morgan and Tanya at his house, and headed to their townhouse.

"That was a lot of fun," Tanya said, sighing contentedly.

"I had no idea you could sing like that," Morgan said, sidling up to her. "Dead sexy voice, Dr. O'Toole." His hands fondled her in a familiar fashion.

"Thanks. Nice—stick work, Dr. Fellowes."

"Why thank you, future Dr. Fellowes." He paused. "Will you keep your name or hyphenate or what?"

"I won't hyphenate. I think Tanya O'Toole-Fellowes is a few too many l's and o's for my taste. But I like the sound of Tanya Fellowes. Dr. Tanya Fellowes." She nodded, content. "Yes, I could get used to that."

"I always thought hyphenating was pretentious. If you want to keep your name, I'll understand."

"Why? Unlike my ex, I'm proud of you. It would make me happy to take your name, Morgan."

They kissed a long time before Tanya headed upstairs. Morgan set the alarm and trotted up the stairs behind her. Things were heating up, the bed was rotating and the window showed the stars and full moon. It was a perfect night.

A loud crash, followed by a thump, below made them both jump. Morgan grabbed his pants, hopping quickly into them. He went to the top of the stairs, but heard nothing more. Tanya dialed the police while Morgan made sure the bedroom door was locked.

"I should go down and see what's wrong," he said.

"Don't you dare! I've seen too many horror movies. If people stayed put, and called the police, there would be fewer deaths."

"Yeah, but then it wouldn't be a splatter flick."

The doorbell rang. Morgan pulled on his shirt and headed down the stairs. A police car sat in his driveway, lights flashing. A second pulled up moments later. Upstairs, Tanya's phone rang.

"That's the dispatcher," Tanya called. "She said you should see Officer Lindsey on the porch. He's tall and blond. Officer Katz is going around back."

© 2020 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books


No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...