Thursday, July 16, 2020

Emma, Dangerous by Dellani Oakes – Part 7

Emma's in the hospital for the night, and Sam's allowed to stay with her. He asks Rosalee not to let her parents see her, unless she's there.

He went back to Emma's room. She was curled on her side, sound asleep. He kissed her fondly on the forehead before he went to get a shower. He was dressed in pajama bottoms, walking out of the bathroom, when her parents arrived. Rosalee and Dr. Rivers were with them. To say that they were stunned to see Sammy there, was an understatement.

"Were you planning to tell us you'd kidnapped our daughter, Samuel?"

Her father was such a pompous ass, Sam could hardly control his temper. Clenching his fists, he stood his ground between the bathroom and the padded window seat he would be using for a bed.

"He didn't kidnap her," Rosalee interjected. "He saved her from a difficult situation."

"You were there? You saw this amazing rescue?" her father snapped.

"I saw how she looked when he brought her in. She's drugged out of her mind, she was raped...."

"My daughter hasn't been raped," her mother answered quietly.

"What do you call it when she's had intercourse against her will?" Rosalee asked her pointedly.

"My daughter's a virgin...."

Sammy scoffed. "Yeah, tell me another story I might believe in about a hundred years. Like your husband isn't a pervert, and you aren't a closet drunk."

"I won't stand here and be insulted," Emma's mother turned pale.

"Fine. See ya." Sam walked over to the window and lay down with a blanket over him.

"Are you going to let him talk to me like that?" she appealed to the room.

Rosalee looked at Emma's father. "I don't know about you," she said calmly. "But I intend to let him. Sam has had a lot to say about Emma's situation. I think it's only fair to warn you that I've contacted child services."

"She's eighteen," her father insisted. "What can they do?"

"With luck, look into a history of abuse spanning the last eight years. I don't think the statute of limitations has run out on that. In fact, I'm sure it hasn't. You'd better hire a good lawyer, sir. When this goes to court, you'll need one."

"His reputation will be ruined! You can't! I insist you stop this now!" Emma's mother cried.

Rosalee drew herself up to her full and impressive height, towering over Emma's parents. "I know you didn't just say that to me. Because if you did, I would have to indicate, rather pointedly, your part in this. Denying the obvious, closing your eyes to his actions, doing nothing because you're embarrassed? I don't know which of you I hold more responsible. You are both reprehensible."

The parents left in a huff, not even trying to take their daughter with them. Dr. Rivers tapped Rosalee's knuckles with a proud grin.

"You get some sleep now, precious," Rosalee said softly. She gave Sammy a kiss on the forehead and left.

Breakfast came far earlier than Sam was prepared for. Emma wasn't awake, and he knew she'd never eat it anyway, so he ate the food instead. It was the first real meal he'd had in days. Not that he'd ever been terribly picky, but he had to admit that hospital food was almost inedible. Before going off shift, both Rosalee and Dr. Rivers came up to visit.

"Transportation will be here at three to take you to the facility," Dr. Rivers told him. "So if there are any calls you want to make, do so before then."

Sammy shrugged. "I might call Grant," he said. "Of all the guys we know, he's like the only one who gives a shit about either of us. Word will get around soon enough, where we are."

"Are you alright with this?" Rosalee knew how easily some teens got embarrassed about rehab.

"Maybe when our friends hear we're trying to clean up, they will too. I see it as a good thing," Sam said, sounding far more mature than his age.

"You're a good man," Rosalee said. "Too young to have such responsibilities. When they allow you to use the phone, you'll call me?"

"That's a promise. Thanks, Rosalee." He engulfed her a hug. "Doc, you're a pretty cool guy. Thank you."

"We got off to a bad start, Sam. My fault for making assumptions. They'll let me come check on you from time to time. Is that okay?"

©2020 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books



No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...