Thursday, February 11, 2021

Emma, Dangerous by Dellani Oakes – Part 67


Frank Tan and his wife come by for dinner, the day Sam gets out of the hospital. The detective pieces together events for them.

"What did Hempe do to get in the psych ward?" Sam wanted to know. "Why the hell was he so damn desperate to get out?"

"He pleaded insanity for a string of murders, and attempted murders," Frank said. "But it was coming up for review and Dr. Spiner was going to testify that he wasn't any nuttier than a pecan. He could be tried and convicted of seven murders and two attempted. In this state, that can get you a death sentence. Since two of the fatalities, and one of the attempts, were on police and law enforcement, you can bet he'd get the maximum sentence. I guess he wasn't ready to die."

"What happens to him now?" Sam asked.

"He goes on trial for murder and two counts of attempted murder, assault and extortion. Anything else I can throw at the bastard and make stick, I'm doing."

"Hempe murdered Frank's partner," Sylvia added, putting her hand on her husband's arm. "And he tried to kill Frank."

"And what happens to Ravenwood?" Emma asked. "Dr. Spiner is dead, Dr. Abernathy and Dr. McNulty are out—I assume?"

"McNulty's in jail. Dr. Abernathy will have to face a review, and may lose her license. That leaves Dr. Stewart in charge. There are a few other doctors on staff. We'll manage," Raleigh said. "It won't feel the same without Mannie at the helm. He was a good man and a dear friend," Raleigh said.

"With Amanda in charge, it will still be our home," Molly replied.

Frank and Sylvia finally said goodnight and the residents went upstairs. Sam's room was still blocked off, but a second bed had been moved into Emma's room. They were separated by a large, heavy dresser. Sam saw that and chuckled.

"Which of you decided I needed a cock block?" He looked right at Carlos.

His friend blushed, ducking his head.

"Man, I'm so beat, I couldn't get it up if you put a gigawatt through me."

"I know that we men prevail, half dead or not. I wasn't going to have you get in trouble for breaking the rules. Molly would fuss."

Sam chuckled. "Good point. And that right there, is block enough."

Tim, Shelby and Carlos were due to leave Ravenwood. Two days after Sam got out of the hospital, they had a going away party for them. The following morning, they were released by Dr. Stewart. It was her first day back after her husband's death.

After they left, promising to come back and visit, the household got very quiet. Everyone missed their friends. Sam and Emma had only another week in their stay and they were making plans. Dr. Stewart called them to her office. Curious, they walked hand in hand, knocking on her door.

Her smile was tinged with sadness, but she greeted them both with a hug. "I hear you're leaving us soon."

Sam and Emma exchanged a look. Holding hands, they sat in front of her desk.

"That's right," Sam replied. "We're planning to find an apartment nearby. We want to join some of the day therapy groups. This is like home now, crazy as that sounds."

"Not at all," Dr. Stewart said. "That pleases me to hear. Maybe you'll like what I have to say, then." She sat at her desk, hands folded in front of her. "Molly told me how marvelous it was having music. Would you be interested in helping with a new music therapy group we're planning to start? One of our new doctors will be leading it."

Sam's eyes brightened. "Really?"

"Really. In fact, I've been looking at the budget, and I think we could find money to help with your education. Yours too, Emma. Now that Molly has the baby, she wants to lighten her work load. She said that you were a wonderful help in the kitchen. She'll train you to take over that job, if you're interested?"

Emma burst into tears. "I'd love it! Dr. Stewart, you don't know what this means to me. To us!"

"It means a lot to me, too," the doctor replied. "I'm delighted that you feel so at home here. That was our plan—our dream. Mannie and I started this place with the idea of helping people find themselves. I'm thrilled that it's done that for you."

©2020 Dellani Oakes

To Buy Dellani's Books


No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...