Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Indian Summer Revisited

The following is from my, as yet unpublished, novel - Indian Summer Revisited. I wrote this as a contemporary companion to my historical novel Indian Summer. The main characters, Malin and Carina, plan to spend the weekend with Carina's parents. Their friends Dana and Clay are with them. Though Dana knows the family well, the men have found Rosie something of a surprise.

There was a light tapping on the door. Dana peeked in.
"Hi, sorry. Look, Carina, your mom is trying to get Clay to do naked yoga for his back. I swear, he just pulled a muscle last night. We got a little crazy. She wants him to work out the kinks and offered to give him a massage."
"Oh, God. I knew I shouldn't have left you two alone. Keep that thought," she told Malin.
"Keeping the thought, ma'am." He reclined on the bed watching her rush out.
He couldn't help laughing. This house was by far the most bizarre and chaotic he had ever been in and he felt right at home. Her mother didn't even bother him that much. Sure, she was full of some surprises, but he didn't mind her asking his sexual preferences. He had nothing to be ashamed of.
"Aren't you going to help?" Dana asked him with a frown.
"Should I?"
"Wait til you see and ask me that." She nodded toward the door and walked quickly down the hall.
Rosie had Clay in a full Nelson, trying to straighten his back, but since she was a lot shorter, she was pulling him at an odd angle. He was trying to talk calmly to her telling her that he didn't need to be naked to do yoga, but she wasn't easily convinced. Carina was trying to pry her hands loose while her father sat at the table and sipped Korean beer.
Malin walked up beside Rosie, looked at what she was doing and offered to help. She handed Clay to him, he straightened his friend and set him to one side.
"Now, Rosie, show me that move you were doing. Was it like this?" He demonstrated briefly on her.
"No, it was more of a lift. There, that's it. Oh, my back feels great. I had no idea I'd kinked it."
"I told you that was too advanced a position for us, Mama," her husband replied from his stool.

"But with your foot in that brace, we had to try something, sweetheart. I guess it was a little bit too much at my age. I'm not nearly as flexible as I used to be."

© 2016 Dellani Oakes


To Buy Dellani's Books


No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...