Tuesday, April 18, 2017

I Love Dialogue from Bank on Love by Dellani

"Oh, my God, my mother!" Holding her forehead, she answered. "Hi, Mom...."
"You couldn't call? Or send a text to tell me you're all right?"
"It was a busy morning, Mom. I was a little shell shocked. I didn't think. I'm so sorry."
"But you're all right?"
"I'm fine. We all got out of it just fine, thanks to Claude. He saved me—us." She burst into irrational tears, sobbing on the phone with her mother.
Claude put his arms around her, holding her close as she cried and blubbered. When her nose stuffed up, he got paper napkins from the lunch bag, for her to blow on.
"Thanks," she mumbled.
"Is someone there?" her mother's sharp hearing caught the one word.
"Claude is here. He brought me lunch so I wouldn't be by myself."
"That was very thoughtful. Did he do that for Mr. Pomfrey or Susanna?"
"Of course not."
"Good. Is he handsome?"
"Mom!" she couldn't control the shock in her voice. Her mother never asked questions like this.
"It's a question. People ask those, especially when their daughters don't share. Well?"
"Yes. Very."
"Well built—all over?"
"Mother!" her voice rose to a screech, she wasn't just shocked, she was horrified. A series of unintelligible sounds dribbled from her lips.
Flashing his lopsided smile, Claude took the phone from her. "Mrs. Masgay? Hi, this is Claude Meredith. You seem to have shocked her mute. Can I help you?"
"I asked if you're well built, and it seemed to be impossible for her to answer."
"I lift weights, run and swim...."
"You know that's not what I asked."
"We haven't gotten to that stage, ma'am. I just asked her out on a date tonight."
"You can still answer me."
"Wouldn't you prefer for it to be a mystery?"
Emilia Masgay giggled musically. "I suppose you're right. You'll treat her well? I don't have to worry about you breaking her heart like that deadbeat ex-husband of hers?"
"No, ma'am. I'm not in the habit of breaking hearts. I'm not a love 'em and leave 'em type."
"Good. I'd hate to bust your kneecaps."
"I'd hate that too."
"May I speak to my daughter again?"
"Sure. Nice talking to you." He handed Violet the phone.
"Mom, really?"
"Oh, lighten up. He sounds really nice."
"He is. I'm sorry I didn't call you."
"It's all right, lovey. You take care. Have fun on your date!"
"I'm sure I will. Love to Dad."
"Bye, darling."
"Bye."
© 2017 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...