Tuesday, May 23, 2017

I Love Dialogue from Study of Love by Dellani

Evelyn Winthrop is a graduate student studying psychology. She meets Tim O'Brian in the elevator at school, and is immediately attracted, only to find out he's her new teacher. Because of school policy, they shouldn't date, but that doesn't keep them both from wanting to find a way to spend time together.

Evie slipped on shoes and grabbed her keys before heading downstairs. The coffee shop was tucked away in a secluded part of the building. It was quiet and nearly empty this time of night. Tim was there at a table, smiling at her. He signaled the barista, who nodded.
"I ordered the same thing we had it breakfast. Hope that's okay."
"Perfect. Thank you."
There was an awkward pause.
"I'm sorry about running off like that," Tim said. "My brain shuts down totally when I'm around you. I go all primal Id inside and want to rip your clothes off."
The barista set the coffee down. Blushing, Tim handed her a tip.
"Not something you wanted to admit in front of Barbie, huh?"
He shrugged, tipping his head to one side. "Doesn't matter. Hiding the truth doesn't change it."
"You have a similar effect on me, Mister O'Brian."
Tim chuckled. "Playing that way, are we, Ms. Winthrop? I can't make you a part of my life's disaster," he said quietly. "I don't want you dragged into something ugly. Knowing Sharon, it would be heinous. She will subpoena every woman I know and try to make a cheater of me."
"Did you cheat?"
"What? No! I took my vows seriously. But there is a no cheat clause in the prenup. If she's proven guilty, which is going to be easy, she gets nothing. If she proves against me, which is difficult—"
"But not impossible."
"I didn't cheat, Evie. Whatever else can be said about me, I don't do that."
"Neither do I. I don't want to be the other woman."
"And I don't want you to be. I want to be the one and only. Will you wait for me? A few months, hopefully, less. I want to explore what we started here."
"You sure you don't just want sex?"
"If I did," he snapped. "We wouldn't be sitting here. We'd be at your place adultering our brains out!"
Evie chuckled at his word choice. "Is that a real thing, Tim? Adultering?"
"It sounded better than screwing and it's more than fornication, as I'm married."
"You've got to be Catholic."
"Does it show?" He playfully checked his face with his fingers.
"Not everyone knows the difference between adultery and fornication."
"I also teach human sexuality. The subjects may have come up a time or two."
"Other things come up as well," Evie teased.
"Good Lord, woman!" he gasped. "I'm trying not to screw your brains out."
"Can we still have coffee together? Or do we have to slink around out of town, or meet at sleazy motels?"
"I have that covered. I need a research assistant for my final project. How would you like a job?"
"Okay. What does the job entail? Catering to your every whim?"
"Of course not—not the way you're thinking. I need someone who can type, preferably one who can spell and is conversant with the terminology. Can you take dictation?"
"I can try. I used to type notes for girl with MS. I think I can handle it."
"You want the job?"
"How much does it pay?"
"No idea. The department secretary has details. Do you?"
"What are the hours?"
"Outrageously long and you'll constantly be in my company. You probably want to kill me. Do you want the job?” he sounded quite exasperated.
"Yes. Accepted ages ago. You weren't listening."
"No, you didn't."
"I said, okay."
Tim groaned. She had, indeed.
© 2017 Dellani Oakes




No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...