Thursday, November 09, 2017

Tear Jerker from So Much It Hurts by Dellani



"I want you and Yancy to sing a duet," Lois said. "And I know the perfect song. Yancy, you play, and Pia will sing."
"What are we singing?" Pia asked as she sat next to Yancy at the piano.
"Feeling Good," Lois announced.
Pia felt slightly faint. Yancy didn't look much better. They exchanged a look and his fingers swept over the keys, giving her the first note. Taking a deep breath, Pia concentrated on the words. She knew Lois had done it on purpose, and felt a little like she'd been sideswiped. Yancy played as she sang, adding little flourishes to make up for the lack of other instruments. He got more sound out of the piano than she'd thought he could. By the third verse, she was wailing loudly, her discomfort forgotten. Yancy joined her with intricate harmony on the last chorus. As the song wound to a close, they turned to one another, smiling.
The urge to kiss him flooded through Pia. She could see in her eyes that he felt the same way. He didn’t give her the kiss she wanted, where he swept her into his arms and devoured her. But he leaned forward and she met him halfway, closing the gap. It lasted mere seconds, but it meant the world to her. Silence accompanied their short interlude, until a quiet sigh escaped the women.
"On that note," Cynthia said softly. "Perhaps sleep is in order. Mornings start early for some of us."
They all agreed that was a good idea. Everyone clapped and congratulated the musicians on their wonderful concert. Lois came up to Pia after the others left.
"Sorry. I know I blindsided you, but you have to give him his shot."
"I do, you're right." Impulsively, she gave the other woman a hug. "Dale deserves his, too," she whispered.
Lois smiled, glancing over at her boyfriend. "Yeah, he does. Can't let that tight ass go to waste."
"You do know.... How?"
"I know I come across all tight laced, but I know. I went through a time when I was too quick to fall into bed, and it cost me dearly. I had to be sure this time."
"He knows?"
"Yes. We talked this afternoon, too."
"Good. Have fun."
Left alone, Yancy and Pia walked slowly up to their rooms, which were right next to one another. He stood with her in the hall, one shoulder against the wall, hands in his pockets. A dreamy expression lingered on his face. Pia stood with her hand on the doorknob, conflicted. She wanted to invite him in to sit and chat, but she knew if he walked through that door, it wouldn't be to talk.
"Time for sleep," Yancy said quietly, touching her cheek. His lips descended, fluttering against her cheek. With an abrupt movement, he pulled himself away and went to his room.
Tears trickled down Pia's cheeks. He didn't look back as he went in his room. Head down, shoulders hunched, he hesitated a second, then walked resolutely through his door. Pia did the same. Shutting her door softly, she leaned against it and the tears fell. Her phone rang. Hoping it wasn't Flynn, she looked at the screen. It was her mother.
"Oh, Mommy," she sobbed when she answered the phone. She tried to explain, knowing she hadn't made anything clear. Her mother didn't interrupt, but Pia could feel her listening.
"Mija," her mother crooned. "What's in your heart?"
"I don't know. So much. Too much."
"What do you want?"
"I want them both, and I can't have them. Don't I owe Flynn his chance?"
"Which one excites you?"
"They both do!"
"Which one touches deep in your heart?"
That was a good question. Flynn had brought her to places sexually that Steven hadn't, but Yancy.... She felt him on a deep level, not in the same way.
"I don't know, Mom. I'm so confused. Can a person have two soul mates?"
"I don't think so, sweetheart. Wouldn't that sort of negate the entire idea?"
"I guess?" She sniffled, snorting when she tried to laugh. "I'm so confused!"
"Pray, Mija. I know that boy pulled you away from Church, but you're not with him now. You search your heart and put your love in the hands of St. Therese. She is your patron, born on her day. And you chose her as your Confirmation saint for a reason. Do you remember what you told me?"
"Yes, because she was always there for me."
"And I said her prayer the entire time I was pregnant. I asked for the safety of my baby girl. You weren't easy, not like the others, and I was afraid you'd be taken from me. So you ask her, she'll help you."
"I will. I promise."
"That's my girl. Now, you say your prayers and go to bed. Tomorrow will be better."
"Thanks, Mom. I love you so much."
"I love you too, baby. Goodnight."

© 2017 Dellani Oakes



No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...