Thursday, July 13, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 37


Rebecca came out of the room, smiling. "Let me tell you what's going on," she said gently, taking Emily's hands. She explained briefly, her mother's condition.

Obi could hear her calm voice, and Emily's questions, as he walked off. He knew he should stay to help Emily, but sensed that Wanda needed the blessings he could give her, more than Emily needed the presence of a stranger.

Mass was over, and people filed out of the chapel. Some were walking, others were in wheelchairs, pushed by orderlies and aids. Waiting for the room to clear, Obi waved at Father Flannery.

"Come to the other side?" Father Elvis Flannery asked with a laugh. A man in his fifties, he'd always reminded Obi of the actor, Bruce Campbell. He had the same boyish looks and great hair.

Explaining what he needed, Obi was pleased to see that Father Flannery had it all. "I should have been prepared, but didn't think about it."

"I understand, it's not a problem. Mind a little backup? I'd be pleased to assist you."

"I'd be honored to have you. Twice the prayers can't hurt."

"That they can't. Mind if I ask how you got the shiner?"

Obi told him about his altercation with Edward Lancaster. Father Elvis nodded, hissing slightly.

"Yeah, he's a bugger. He was Roman Catholic, up until he had an argument with my predecessor. I was a lowly assistant priest at the time. Lancaster caused some big stink over something minor—oh, that retarded cousin of his—Abel? Albert?"

"Abner. Carr."

Father Elvis snapped his fingers, pointing at Obi. "That's it. The guy's got an IQ of a salad bar."

Trying not to laugh at the uncharitable comment, Obi snorted. "Dumber than a head of lettuce."

"The very one. He wanted Father Murray to give the idiot a job. Murray tried him out, but ended up firing him for incompetence. Lancaster got so mad, he left the church, vowing ruination."

"Did he succeed?"

Father Elvis shrugged, shaking his head. "We're still here. Murray retired sixteen years ago, and is happily living in Arizona. I left for a while, but was sent back to St. Winifred's ten years ago."

"I guess he must have come directly to my church, after leaving there."

"Probably. So, what did you do to piss him off so much?"

"I wouldn't get in a fight with him. He wanted to tussle, I told him no. The phone rang, I turned around to go to my office, and he jumped me."

"What a jerk."

"Believe me, I called him worse—in my head."

"The lovely thing about doing that in your head, is that no one can prosecute you for it." Father Elvis tapped his temple. "Got to think several steps ahead, in order to keep in front of him. He's a creep, he's probably crazy, and he's very connected."

"I imagine he's going to be someone else's problem from now on."

"You said you pressed charges?"

"Yeah."

"Maybe we'll be lucky, and the justice system worked correctly."

"We can pray."

Crossing themselves, the two priests made their way to Wanda's room. She was delighted to meet Father Flannery. "I think it's absolutely fabulous having a priest named Elvis."

"Thank you. Thank you very much," he replied, sounding exactly like the famous King of Rock.

Laughing, Wanda relaxed. Obi and Elvis gave her the Sacrament of Anointing of the Sick. By the time they had finished, she was asleep. They contacted Prescott, and headed out to meet him on the ground floor. Father Elvis walked with them.

Emily had lost some of her sparkle. Trudging to the front entrance, she was very quiet.

Obi touched her arm. "I know it's hard to see her like that."

"It's terrible! Mom's always so bubbly and energetic! Nothing gets her down. Nothing! Now, she's puking every five seconds, and losing her hair. It can't be good to pump that poison into her!"

"It does work, Emily. You have to give it time."

"Why can't God just point and heal? Why doesn't He do that? Instead, he kills people with horrible diseases. Why does he do that, Father?"

The men weren't sure which of them she was asking. Exchanging a look, they tried to decide what to tell her. Father Elvis finally spoke.

"God gave us Free Will," he said calmly.

"Are you saying my mother chose to be sick?"

"Not at all. However, we make decisions which can affect our health."

"Maybe so, but she never did anything to deserve this," she sobbed.

"People rarely do. I think it's more a commentary on our world, than on the people affected by disease. We get around toxic people, and soon that wears off on us. Our bodies can stand only so much, before they fall apart."

"Does God engineer it like that?"

"Yes. Can you imagine if we all lived forever?" He shrugged, shaking his head.

"No. It could be quite horrible."

"It would. There's only so much room. When it's gone, it's gone. But being ill, growing older, it's not for the weak. Fighting something like cancer isn't easy. You've got the cancer eating at you, and the chemicals to kill it, eating at it. I have to keep my opinions to myself, a lot of the time. I don't believe in conventional treatments."

"Do you propose we all stop taking medicine, and rely on God?" Emily's temper flared.

"No, child. I propose eating well, exercising, and treating your body with respect. There are natural treatments for cancer, which need to be more fully explored."

"I agree," Obi said. "Sarah's father has talked about it. He's a doctor, Sir Lane," he explained for Father Elvis' benefit.

"He's a good man, an incredible healer. He and I are part of a team, who travel the country talking about how to be healthy. We also share the Godly perspective." He smiled, pointing to himself. "Afterward, we do a healing. Anyone who wants to, can come up and have hands laid on."

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...