Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 36


"Let Emily have her one on one time," Frankie said. "We'll pick you up later, and stop for a short visit then."

"Sounds good."

"I'll show you to the shower," Wynter offered.

"Take her to the green room," Obi said. At Wynter's blank look, he chuckled. "Make a left at the top of the stairs. First room on the left. It and the pink room, share an adjoining bathroom."

"Thank you. I'll get my overnight bag." She and Wynter headed upstairs.

"Sarah, dear, would you help me with the dishes, please?" Hester said. "And I want to start prepping dinner."

"Honey, dinner is ages away," her husband said, after a look at his watch.

"Making falafels," she replied. "It takes time."

"Yummy! I love those!" Sarah said.

Carrying the dirty dishes to the kitchen, Sarah rinsed while Hester loaded. The men offered to help, but were booted out. Only Frankie was allowed to stay. She started gathering the ingredients, lining them up on the counter.

"I didn't really want to do that anyway," Obi said as he, his father, and brothers settled in the living room.

The other men chuckled.

After showing Emily where to bathe, Wynter joined the women in the kitchen. Emily came down a little later, her hair in damp curls.

"I've got a hair dryer, if you need it." Obi made to rise.

"No, don't worry about it. It if I use a dryer, it frizzes."

"It's chilly at the hospital," Clive warned.

"Then we can wait a little while before we go."

"Just say the word. Randolph Cab Company awaits," Obi said.

"You aren't driving," Clive stated firmly.

"I said Randolph, not just me."

"True."

"I'll be happy to take you," Prescott offered. "Say the word."

"I will. Thank you all so much. I can see that you've been really good for my sisters." Her glance went from Obi to Clive. "I'll go see if they need me in the kitchen. I'm great for opening jars." She flexed and the men noticed she had well defined arms.

"I feel kinda took to shame," Eagle said. "Even I don't have that delineation!"

About an hour later, Prescott took Emily to see her mother. Obi went along, to lead her to the room and check on Wanda. Prescott decided to wait in the cafeteria.

When they got upstairs, the nurses smiled, delighted to meet Emily.

"So good to put a face with the name," Rebecca, the head nurse, said with a smile. "She talks about the three of you non-stop!"

"All good, I hope?" Emily said, looking a little worried.

"Absolutely. She loves you girls so much."

"She's the best mom ever," Emily replied.

"I'll drop in and say hello, then I'll go join Dad. You can call us when you're ready."

When they got to the room, he door was closed. Disturbing sounds reached their ears, like someone vomiting. Emily recoiled, her hand over her face. There wasn't an odor out there, but Obi knew some people were affected by the sound.

"I'll check," he said softly. "Go tell the nurse."

She scurried back to the nursing station. He eased the door open. Wanda sat in bed, a dishpan on her lap. Face white, hands trembling, she looked at him with sorrowful eyes.

"Can't seem to stop," she sobbed. "I tried to call the nurse, but the button—I can't find it."

Obi rushed over, digging the call button from between the railing and mattress. The door opened, and Rebecca came in.

"Are you okay, Wanda? Your daughter said you were sick."

"I can't stop—" Another spasm shook her. Opening her mouth, all she could do was gag over the dishpan. Nothing came out.

"Doctor prescribed anti-nausea meds. I'll be right back."

"I'll sit with her," Obi said.

"I'll let Emily know what's going on," Rebecca said as she left.

"I don't know if I can keep doing this," Wanda whispered. "I know chemo isn't easy, but I feel like I'm going to barf up a lung—I mean that literally. It's so—" she retched again.

Obi held her hair, talking softly to her. When she was done, he got a cool cloth, wiping her face. Rebecca returned with a syringe. She cleaned the IV port, injecting the medication.

"This should help right away. Emily's waiting outside, if you want to see her. I'll run a brush through your hair, and wash your face, shall I?"

"Please. Obi," Wanda gasped, holding out her hand. "Can you give me blessing of the sick?"

"I haven't got my bag, but I can still say the prayers with you."

"Thank you."

"Father Flannery, from St. Winifred's, is at the chapel for Saturday Mass," Rebecca said. "I know it's a different flavor of Catholic, but might he have the things you need?"

"I'll go see." He checked his watch. "Mass should be over shortly." He gave Wanda a soft kiss on the cheek, after washing her face.

Rebecca brushed her hair, tsking a little when some of it came out in her hands. Wanda sobbed again. Obi hugged her, talking quietly, saying prayers and singing to her.

"We knew this would happen," he murmured. "It's part of the process."

"I can't do this," Wanda whimpered. "I can't."

"We'll talk about this when you feel better," he said softly. "This is a big decision."

"I know. You're right. Send Emily in, I feel up to it, now."

"I'll do that, and go check with Father Flannery." Kissing her softly on the brow, he helped her get settled before going out to find Emily. "She's weak, and feels like crap," he said quietly.

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...