Thursday, August 10, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 45


They decided to go out to lunch. Together, they descended on their favorite Asian restaurant. The Thai Garden had all things Thai, but also carried Chinese food. Their Sunday buffet was to die for. The men surrounded it like a plague of locusts, while the women ordered their meals. None of them felt they could eat enough to justify the buffet expense.

Sipping tea, they nibbled off the men's plates, making them laugh. Afterward, Obi took the girls to their mother's house to change, before he and Wynter went to get Wanda. The other two were making sure the house was shipshape before her arrival. Hester and the girls had made a couple meals, and put them in the refrigerator, so no one would have to cook.

When they got to the hospital, they didn't find Wanda in her room.

"She's having a PET scan done," the nurse replied. "Her doctor wanted an updated one, after surgery and her first chemo. She should be back shortly, if you want to wait in her room."

"Thank you," Wynter said with a smile. Grabbing Obi's hand, she led him to her mother's room.

Glancing down, Obi smiled. It was such an intimate, telling gesture. He knew they were falling in love, and it was the best feeling in the world. The door dropped closed behind them, and he couldn't stop himself. Taking her other hand, he leaned over to kiss her. Wynter stepped closer, accepting his kiss with a happy sigh.

The door swung open, startling them. Wanda sat in a wheelchair, pushed by an orderly. Smiling up at them, she reached out to take their hands. They each took one, still holding hands without realizing it. Wanda's smile broadened. She didn't say anything, but was silently delighted that they'd come to this point.

"You ready to get out of here?" Obi asked.

"I am! I have to wait for the results of the PET scan, then I'll be released."

"The doctor wasn't very busy, so we hope to have those results shortly. Dr. Joshua will come talk to you."

"Thank you," Wanda said as Obi and the orderly helped her back into bed.

Her color was better, her eyes held a twinkling brightness. "Have a seat, children. Talk to me. How was church?"

"It was a lovely service," Wynter said with a grin. "Prescott wowed them with some really outrageous songs. It was a lot of fun."

"If I'd tried that, I'd be hearing about it already," Obi said with a grin.

"It helps that he's just visiting."

"True. He tells me he's going to be at St. Blaise's soon."

"So, he's our new priest. I'm delighted to hear that, and look forward to meeting him. Wynter, I was wondering, dear, if you'd be willing to take over for me? I can train you, but I can't manage the post anymore."

"It's not really my skill set, Mom. You should ask Frankie. She's much better at that sort of thing than I am."

"Good idea."

"Emily has a job opportunity—well, a chance at an interview, with Southend Gym."

"That's lovely. If we can find something for you, life will be perfect. I want all my chicks around me."

"I believe that Frankie is motivated to stay," Wynter said with a slight blush. "I certainly am." She smiled at Obi, taking his hand.

The door opened and Dr. Joshua walked in, looking happy, but rather surprised. "I'm so glad you're here," he said to Wynter. "I have some great news for you, Wanda. The PET scan was pristine. I've never seen something so beautiful. I thought for sure we'd find something, but it came back whistling Yankee Doodle! Based on this, I'm going to cease chemo. We will do scans and blood work every few weeks, to double check your progress, but for now, I believe you're cancer free! I don't know who's in your corner, my dear, but it's nothing short of miraculous!"

They all cheered and clapped. Dr. Joshua beamed.

"I'm going to finish the last bit of paperwork, and send the nurse in here for post op instructions. You'll have a followup with Dr. Fredrick in a week, and they'll schedule other appointments for you. Congratulations, Wanda." He shook her hand, kissing it gallantly.

"This calls for a celebration," Obi said. "Nothing big, but at least a bottle of champagne, and chocolate cheesecake."

"That sounds delicious!" Wanda clapped her hands. "How did you know that was my favorite?"

"Because you are a woman of refined taste—and it's my favorite, too," Obi replied, kissing her hand.

The release papers signed, they headed to Wanda's home. She was greeted like a queen, by her other daughters. The women fussed and fluttered around, getting her settled on the couch. Obi went to the liquor store, where he bought two bottles of chilled champagne. His next stop was his favorite bakery, where he bought the cheesecake. Thus armed, he went back to Wanda's to find his family there. The women were warming dinner, so he popped the bottles and cheesecake in the fridge.

They had a great meal, followed by champagne and chocolate cheesecake. Afterward, the Randolph parents went to Obi's home. Obi and Clive stayed behind to help cleanup and get Wanda settled in bed. When she was resting, they sat in the living room with cups of coffee and more slivers of cheesecake.

"I'm disappointed that Eagle didn't show up at church," Obi said.

"You really hurt his feelings, Bro," Clive remarked.

"Yeah? I notice he didn't give a rip about mine."

Saying nothing, Clive sipped his coffee.

"If you agree with him, I might punch you," he growled at his brother.

"You were kinda harsh, Obe."

"I didn't say half of what I wanted to. He's always been so coddled—and I get why. Mom had trouble carrying him to term, he was born six weeks early, and had to stay in an incubator for a month. I understand that. As the youngest, he got away with things neither of us ever did. But now—he's got the chance to explore and learn so many new things."

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...