Thursday, August 17, 2023

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 47


Eagle burst out laughing.

They both remembered the Henderson dog. It was old when Eagle was born, and lived to be ancient. One thing which characterized it, it was virtually hairless from a skin condition.

"You wanna get a beer?"

"Yeah. Mind if I bring the other brother?"

"Sure. Why not. Your place?"

"Mom and Dad are there. How about the cabin?"

"Kind of a drive."

"Your place?"

"I moved in with Sarah."

"You did? When? Are you—? Sorry, not my business."

"Not yet."

"Then why move in?"

"My lease was coming up for renewal, and they raised the rent to a ridiculous amount. We're sleeping in the same bed, but not making love. I think that's why I got upset. There's Clive, all smug.... And you—I've never seen you so happy."

"Aren't you happy with Sarah?"

"Very. I love her a ridiculous amount."

"So?"

"Let's get together, and I'll explain."

"You got it. Let me grab Clive."

"Where you wanna go?"

"I'll come get you. Pack an overnight bag, we're going to the woods."

"If you're sure."

"We've got a lot to hash out. I think we need some Brother Time."

This was something they'd done since they were kids. Originally, they had gone out to the woods behind their home. They'd built a fort there, and would camp in it overnight. Eventually, that lot was sold, a house built on it. By that time, Obi could drive, so they would go camping, or head out to the cabin.

"I'll be ready."

"Great. See you soon."

Hanging up, he went back in the house. Clive was heading to the kitchen with dirty dishes.

"Road trip," he said, giving his brother a long, penetrating look.

"Brother Time?"

"Yeah. We haven't had enough of that lately."

"Probably two years?"

"At least."

"The girls won't mind?"

"Won't mind what?" Frankie said, looping her arm through Clive's.

"Brother Time," Obi explained.

"I think that's a great idea. We kind of need a Sister Moment, so go for it."

"Thanks." Clive gave her a kiss. "Let me get these to the kitchen, then we'll head out."

"Great. I'm gonna call Lorna and let her know I won't be in tomorrow."

"Have Dad hold down the fort."

"He's got to get to St. Blaise."

"Not until next month. Father Charlie's better," Frankie said.

"Then I'll ask him to step in. I'm sure he will."


Phone calls made, bags packed, the brothers got on the road. Obi knew he'd miss Wynter, but this was something he and his brothers needed.

It was late afternoon when they got in. Dropping their bags in the living room, they grabbed fishing poles from the front closet. They wanted fresh Steelhead for their dinner. All of them were proficient fishermen. It was decided that Obi, since he was technically still laid up, would prepare the side dishes. Eagle and Clive, armed with their poles and bait, headed down the bank.

Obi made a large garden salad, sliced fresh pineapple, and concocted aromatic rice. The pineapple would go on the grill with the fish. Hearing the small boat motor returning, he went out to light the grill. He'd set it up before starting on the salad. By the time his brothers got back to the cabin, their filleted catch in hand, the coals were ready.

Clive was given the job of grilling the fish and pineapple. Of the three, he was the most adept at it. Obi got each of them a cold beer from the cooler Eagle had lugged from the kitchen. Once their meal was ready, they sat at a picnic table under the trees, and ate. The sun setting over the river, set the rippling water on fire. It looked as if a golden path led the way to the sun.

"I always used to think that was the way to heaven," Eagle mused. "When Sparkles died, Mom told me she'd taken the rainbow bridge. I imagined it as golden, though." He gestured with his beer bottle to the sinking sun.

"Who knows, you might be right," Obi said with a grin. "Sunsets and sunrises remind us of the beauty in the world. I feel like God did that, so we'd remember we aren't alone."

"Sounds legit," Clive said, grabbing them each another beer.

They watched the sun set in silence. When the last golden rays were extinguished by the water, they drank another beer and roasted marshmallows over the coals.

"So, you and Sarah moved in together," Obi said, gently opening the topic.

"Yeah. It's great—and awful. I love her a lot—"

"And you want to be able to show her," Clive stated.

"Exactly. I know she's got strong convictions, and I appreciate that. But I also know that humans are sexual beings, who are drawn to one another. What do you think?" he asked Obi.

"Are you asking as my brother, or for my professional opinion?"

"Both."

Obi paused, the beer almost to his lips. "As your brother, and a grown, lustful man, I get it. She's beautiful, intelligent, and everything you ever wanted."

©Dellani Oakes 2023

To Buy Dellani's Books

For More About Dellani

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...