Thursday, May 31, 2018

Character Interview with Pia Donovan from So Much It Hurts by Dellani Oakes



For this interview, I wanted someone the polar opposite of Wil VanLipsig. That required going to a completely different book, because all the Lone Wolf characters waver to toward the darker side. That cannot be said for Pia Donovan, who tends to be a bit perky. Don't hold that against her, she's a wonderful girl.

What is your story?
My story is told in So Much It Hurts
Who are you?
My name is Pia Zamora Donovan. I'm a 22 year old music major.
Where do you live?
I just moved into this great old hotel in the heart of a huge city! Way different from Kearney, Nebraska, let me tell you.
Are you the hero of your own story?
I wouldn't say that. I'm not particularly heroic.
What is your problem in the story?
I'm doing my best to forget this creep I was dating, as well as my bitch of an ex-roommate. They got pregnant and married one another. Now that I've met Flynn and Yancy, things are so much better.
How do you see yourself?
I'm determined, driven, excited about my new experiences, and intimidated by City life. I'm certain I can make it work, though.
How do your friends see you?
Out with the old, in with the new! My old friends probably saw me as stupid for staying with Steven. My new friends don't know him, (and don't want to), but they see me as confident, happy and full of life. This is the me I was before Steven, and who I want to be.
How does the author see you?
She sees me as I see myself, only more. She found a core of strength I didn't know I had.
Do you think the author portrayed you accurately?
Very. It's like she heard my voice in her head! How cool is that?
Do you have any special strengths?
Being the daughter of a college professor, I learned to adapt to change every time we moved. I wasn't very good at it when I was little, but my family helped me a lot. I learned to be confident, and I never lost that.
Do you have any special weaknesses?
Does chocolate count?
Do you have any skills?
I can sing and play a wide variety of musical instruments.
Do you have money troubles?
Doesn't every college student?
What do you want?
I want to finish my education so I can start to teach music and share my love with children.
What do you need?
I need to make up my mind about something. It's really bugging me.
What makes you happy?
My new friends and home make me happy. Flynn and Yancy make me even happier.
What are you afraid of?
I'm afraid I'll do something awful and break someone's heart, the way mine was broken.
What makes you angry?
Stupid people who are mean to each other – for no reason.
What do you regret?
I regret I ever gave my love to Steven. He didn't deserve it.
Are you lucky?
I wouldn't have thought so a year ago, but yes. I'm the luckiest woman alive.
Have you ever failed at anything?
How long an interview do you want?
Has anyone ever betrayed you?
Yes. My ex-boyfriend had an affair with my roommate, got her pregnant and dumped me so he could marry her. They're blissfully happy.
Do you keep your promises?
When I make a promise, I keep it.
Are you healthy?
I rarely get sick, which is a blessing.
What was your childhood like?
We moved a lot, because Mom was in school and then getting her first jobs, but it was good. I have a bunch of brothers and sisters, who helped me learn to adapt and make friends in a new place.
Do you like remembering your childhood?
Very much. I have a great family and we always have a good time together.
Did you get along with your parents?
Yes, I still do. Mom has been with me all through this crap with Steven. She wasn't very supportive when I started dating him, and now I see why.
Have you ever had an adventure?
I'm having one now!
What is the most important thing that ever happened to you? Why?
Meeting Flynn and Yancy, as well as everyone here at the hotel, has been the best thing ever.
Was there a major turning point in your life?
I made the decision to apply to the City University because it's got a world renowned reputation. I needed to get as far away from Steven as I could. Then I was accepted and everything just fell into place. I know this is where I'm meant to be.
Was there ever a defining moment of your life?
Yes, when my suitcase caught in a hole and Flynn helped me.
What is your favorite color? Why?
I love so many, but dark, dusky reds and pinks just make my heart sing.
What is your favorite food? Why?
My dad has a Mexican restaurant. He makes cinnamon rolls to go with the chili, and I love them. Every time I smell them baking, it makes me feel like I'm in his restaurant back home.
What is your favorite beverage? Why?
Is anything better than coffee? Didn't think so.
What is your favorite music? Why?
I love nearly all music. There are a few exceptions; pop schlock, rap crap and that trippy shit they play in clubs. It's not music, it's garbage with a beat.
Name five items in your purse.
Only five? Whew! Phone, keys, wallet, sunglasses, lip balm.... You want me to keep going?
If you were at a store now, what ten items would be in your shopping cart?
I put off grocery shopping, because I hate it – So... One of everything that isn’t fish, beets or rutabagas. Or nuts.
If you were stranded on a desert island, who would you rather be stranded with, a man or a woman?
If I were there with a woman, she'd probably bitch the whole time about how hard the sun was on her skin, or that it was bleaching out her hair. Yuck! I'll take a hot man who knows what he's doing in bed—and a large umbrella. 'Cause, you know, the sun is bleaching out my hair!
How do you envision your future?
Teaching music and happily married to a great guy.

© 2018 Dellani Oakes

So Much It Hurts is available from Tirgearr Publishing




No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...