Saturday, April 20, 2019

Red River Radio Presents What's Write for Me with Kelsie and Rick




Dragons, and Dryads and Elves – oh my!

We're taking a step in a slightly different direction. Anyone who plays video games knows that there is an incredible story behind each one. Even if the history isn't active in the game, it's there. World building for a fantasy game can be especially challenging.
This week, we will chat with Rick Simmons, programmer and trouble shooter for Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted. He is joined by Kelsie Belanger, an artist and animator for the game.
I'm looking forward to getting to know these two talented people a lot better. I know we're going to have a great time, regardless of where the conversation takes us.

Meet Artist Kelsie Belanger


How are you involved with Istaria?
I'm an artist, specializing in 3D animation and user interface (so icons), as well as some minor work in texturing and modeling. I also own and manage the Discord and have managed various events in the past.

Favorite pastime
I love to draw, but mostly I like playing video games with my friends.

Favorite book series or author
My favorite book series is the Age of Fire series, by E. E. Knight, though really only the first three books.

Family, furry friends or other life stuff
I have an elder sister and a young niece, and a whole boatload of cousins. I've a cat and a lizard as pets, though I really want a snake in the future, too.

Major things happening in life right now
I'm working my way through college to get a bachelor's degree in Biology, however I do hope to get into the gaming industry as a 3D animator in the future.



Meet Programmer Rick Simmons

How are you involved with Istaria?
I'm a programmer and do client and server side programmer. In general, I try to keep some distance from the design side of Istaria. It's my experience that programmers make games that programmers like, while Istaria is intended for a wider crowd.

Favorite pastime
I like cooking and reading. For fiction, I usually read hard scifi and non-fiction is currently the psychology and biology of consciousness.

Favorite book series or author
While a bit older of a series, I still think the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons is a fantastic. I think a Canticle for Leibowitz deserves to be read more widely. For non-fiction, Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter is a favorite.

Family, furry friends or other life stuff
Wife and two kids, but kids are mostly grown up now.

Major things happening in life right now
Getting on the crazy train... I think we're on the cusp of significant changes to our lifestyle, based on climate change, and trying to figure out a better place to live that is more insulated from those effects. Maybe not so crazy.




No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...