Thursday, April 25, 2019

Take a Bite Outta Crime Part 25 by Dellani Oakes




Nervous and on edge, Carley only trusts the vampires. She finds out how Margo became a model, and asks her if it was difficult for her to be taken seriously.

Margo laughed, rocking back and forth on her chair. "It's in the attitude. If they talk down to you, you turn it on them. Condescension can go both ways. You're the face, dear. They can't get very far without you. Yes, there are other models out there, but you're here. They need you. Of course, having a diva fit isn't very becoming. I'm not saying do that. But they can only hurt you if you allow them to. I never did."
"You're so much more brave than I am."
"Watch me, precious. The lighting director had it in for me yesterday. Doesn't like blondes because we're too hard to light, especially platinum blondes like me. He made some comment, and I shot him down. He swore revenge." She giggled and wielded the brush with a flare. "Done."
She finished right on time. The photographer called for Carley almost immediately. Margo finished her own makeup and went to put on her first outfit. Kirk was dressed and waiting for her in her dressing area. They talked quietly as she changed. Margo wasn't modest. She and Kirk had known one another far too long for it to bother her.
"How's Tommy liking the gig?"
"He seems to be enjoying it," Margo replied. "Flirting outrageously with the models."
"Does that bother you?"
"Why should it? At the end of the day, he goes home to my bed." She grinned. "Does it bother Drea that we're acting cuddly?"
"Why should it? At the end of the day, I go home to her. Someone's got an eye on Tommy?" Kirk was very anxious about their friend.
"Sandra and Eddie are acting as wait staff. They have him under surveillance."
"Good. I worry about him."
"No more than I do." Margo gazed off in the general direction of Tommy's catering table. "I asked him last night if he'd ever agree to letting me turn him." Casting her eyes downward, she glanced up at Kirk. "He said yes. Then proposed." She smiled, tears forming in her eyes. "I love him so much. I never thought I could love again."
"I'm glad you were wrong."
"Me too."
Kirk kissed her forehead, holding her close. "I'm happy for you, Margo. You deserve a good man. Tommy is that man."
"I think so too." She cocked her head to one side. "I hear my name. Love how they bellow, don't you? I'm coming!" she yelled as she strode to the set.
As he wasn't needed immediately, Kirk wandered over to the catering table and looked over the delicious treats. Tommy and Drea had outdone themselves. The finger sandwiches and canapes were unique and delicious. The new assistant was also working out well. With their business growing daily, they had considered keeping him on permanently.
Both Kirk and Margo were called to the set. After nearly an hour of walking the catwalk and posing, the director called for a break. Margo made her way to the catering table. Tommy wasn't there. Assuming that he was in the bathroom, she waited for several minutes. Sandra came over with an empty tray, looking expectant.
"Where's Tommy? The new canapes are disappearing like crazy!"
"You don't know?" Margo's hand flew to her throat in a panic.
"I'm sure he's fine," Sandra replied. "He was here less than five minutes ago. I got the tray from him."
"But he's not here now! Did anyone see a driver?"
"I didn't see anyone who didn't check out," Scott said as he walked over to join them. "I had a complete list from the company. No one got in this area who wasn't on that list."
"But the restrooms aren't in the secured area," Kirk said.
Margo's knees gave out. Kirk caught her before she fell on the floor.
"Oh, my God," she whispered. "Not my Tommy!"
"Margo, buck up," Kirk said. "This isn't like you."
"Buck up?" Margo screeched. "The love of my life had been kidnapped by a homicidal maniac, and all you can say is buck up? I should wrap this faux fox stole around your neck and yank—hard!" She spoke in French. Only Kirk understood her.
Kirk laughed. "No need. This is my Margo." He patted her on the fanny. "Now, we think logically and have our fine police officers take charge."
"I'll check the restrooms and the exit list," Scott said, striding away.
"I'll see about the security footage," Sandra said. "You two go to work. We'll handle this."
Margo put her hand on Sandra's arm. Looking pleadingly into the other woman's eyes, she spoke softly. "Could you go back to work if it were Scott?"
Sandra nodded abruptly. "Do you really think you want to run in that dress?"
Margo hugged the police woman. "I'll be right back. I'll meet you at the security office."
"We're working, Margo," Kirk said.
"I'm ill. Tell them." She raised her chin to the set.
Kirk squeezed her hand, grinning. "You got it."
Margo made a big scene and went to her dressing room. Kirk went to the director and spoke urgently, telling him that Margo had taken ill and he needed to drive her home.
© 2019 Dellani Oakes

No comments:

Old Time Religion ~ A Love in the City Romance by Dellani Oakes – Part 51

Mrs. Bannister bustled in a couple minutes after Obi and Clive arrived. "Thank goodness you're here," she said to Clive. "...